Need some advice on 94 idi.....

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
OK guys... so I'm trying to come back to my senses ( not that i ever lost them) but i'm trying to get rid of the chevy :puke: .... and so that being said i found.....

a 1994 F250 Xtended cab, long bed, turbo 7.3..... motor has recently had the top end redone, injectors, IP pump, etc.... ZF5.....brand new 7" lift with new 35" BFG A/Ts, and micky thompson classic 2 wheels, still shiny... haha. new ball joints both sides, brakes recently, strait piped.....

needs paint and alignment, interior is in good shape, with captains chairs nice n clean...... guy wants 4500 bucks for it......

so my question is? get rid of the chevy for this? or is that a bad move? I need some honest opinions here guys..... :dunno

THANKS!!!! in advance.... as always....... ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would definatly get rid of the chevy and get yourself that.

But with that being said, how much is your chevy worth? That and how much would you be willing to add onto the money you get from selling the chevy and buying the Ford?

All in all, I would go for it, but thats just me.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you'll get no biased answers from this crowd. :D

On a serious note though, I assume you intend to sell the Chevy to pay for the Ford? If so, from that point forward I think you are in a better rig with the Ford under your butt.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
The chevy i can sell for 5000.... i'm thinking.... asking 5500, minus 500 for the messed up fender....... that being said i just sold my horse so I can go buy that ford tonight if I wanted...... and then once the chevy is gone I can get the beast painted up...... fuel mileage wise Im pretty sure, even with high diesel prices i'd be better off...... Also, it would be my daily driver and make occasional long hauls but I dont forsee that being a problem......

any and all input is appreciated.... i know ya'll will be honest anyways.... lol

SKimballC

Reaction score
Other than the ridiculous lift, sounds like a good rig. I'd go for it. Turbo IDI's with 5-speeds make for great trucks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's not a coastal truck ?,salt air is rough on an undercarrage ( you get under there and make sure the tinworm hasn't setup camp )?
Other than that if it checks out, sounds pretty nice.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam does it seem to start and run well? 4500 is not all that much for what it is in our area. I had a hard time finding anything that wasn't beat to heck and back in the Gainesville-Ocala area and most everything, even the turds were commanding high prices, now admittedly that was a few years ago and diesel was $1.35-1.50 a gallon then which we all thought was high...if only we knew...Honestly if its had the top end fixed and doesn't suffer from cavitation you should have no problems with it. I'd check the coolant for the proper additive, you can get strips that test for nitrite at NAPA, or you can buy a couple strips at Williams Diesel or Ring Power. Since you're in Ocala I'd get the 3-way strips from Williams Diesel or Maudlin International both of them have always treated me right. Is the truck in this area? Private seller or a dealer? Let me know if I can help you in any way I'd be glad to.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
When the guy got it it had a cracked block.... he took that motor out and replaced it with a different one, and replaced all parts basically from what I understood..... I know it sounds very cheap, thats why im a little skeptical.... it is a private seller, he did the suspension work himself.... there is NO RUST under this truck that i could see..... theres a dent on the drivers side back on the cab, and a few other dings n stuff, but it is a 94'.......

i dunno what else to look for really it just seems like such a good deal.... everything done right and fairly new..... it fires right up etc..... his reason for selling is he has a jeep to work on and has a newer PSD......

without taking it to a shop theres not much I can do, and i dont think i could just borrow the truck to take it to a shop, not how things work really....

sassyrel

Reaction score
the number on the side of the ip should be 5070, or 5069--and they should be g code injectors--if not--id be asking where those parts were gone to ----as these are turbo pumps--and turbo injectors are "g" code---not a db2823 pump or the like----and you can hop it up quite a bit from stock with ats parts for the turbo--then up the boost, and the fuel. but need gauges before you do this--also--check he sca's in the engine--and ask the owner if hes ever added any additive to the coolant--id be nervous if he didnt--but turbos are great trucks

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buy it and keep both of them for as long as you want too. Its nice to have a spare truck.... Sometimes, especially if you know what happens in my truck life.....:mad: :dunno :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other thing you can really do is to take the oil filler cap off and observe the blowby, if it isn't too much worse than your old truck I'd probably get it. It may be a standard 7.3 block instead of a factory turbo block but it should still do alright even if its a standard 7.3 block with a turbo added. I suspect its a good buy as long as it runs and drives good, and all the obvious stuff you know from reading here such as no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

SKimballC

Reaction score
When the guy got it it had a cracked block.... he took that motor out and replaced it with a different one, and replaced all parts basically from what I understood..... I know it sounds very cheap, thats why im a little skeptical.... it is a private seller, he did the suspension work himself.... there is NO RUST under this truck that i could see..... theres a dent on the drivers side back on the cab, and a few other dings n stuff, but it is a 94'.......

i dunno what else to look for really it just seems like such a good deal.... everything done right and fairly new..... it fires right up etc..... his reason for selling is he has a jeep to work on and has a newer PSD......

without taking it to a shop theres not much I can do, and i dont think i could just borrow the truck to take it to a shop, not how things work really....

I'd say the price sounds fair and not worry too much about it seeming too cheap. If you want to spend more money, I'm sure you can find a lesser deal out there for the extra $$$.LOL I searched high and low before I found the old man selling the 4wd Supercab '91 with ATS turbo, 5 speed and Gearvendors with 150K on it for a whopping $4000.
What you can do, and this is what I did when I sold my last truck, is arrange something with the seller to have it looked over at a local diesel shop. The buyer of my truck made the arrangements and I took it over. Their inspection cost me an hour and the buyer $80, but it was the crucial step to me selling the truck after the buyer's fears were put at ease.
So buy it already before someone else does.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7