Sump Pump Install / Hoses on 1993 Ford F350 7.3 IDI non-turbo

TrueBurner

Reaction score
Hey All,

This is my second post and got a great response from my first post so I thought I'd give it a go again. Essentially I have no experience with any type of truck repairs but am a quick learner and determined to do the work on my new (old) truck with my own hands and gain experience.

Backstory is the front gauge didn't work on my truck and I also wanted to put in a larger back tank with a sump pump since I had an incident already uphill with the truck dying at 1/4 tank. Figured I could figure it out as I go. Essentially it's been one thing after another and more time consuming than I would have liked because at each step of the process I have to go get/find the parts I need that I didn't know I would need if you know what I mean.

Long story short I would like to do a complete overview of the entire process in another thread but I am trying to jump this next hurdle and would like some insight. I have the bed removed, back tank removed, new 38 gallon back tank in that I purchased from Classic Diesel Design (Wes has been great) which comes with 1/2 NPT male fittings that connect to the sump with 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch barbs respectively. It also comes with another pair just like it that I have been confused about to say the least with multiple mental lapses (learning as I go a lot).

So my ideas / Questions

Do I cut off the original spring lock, attach a Hose Coupler 5/16" Barb x 1/2" Female NPT which would then attach to the fittings that came with the tank (1/2 inch and 5/8 inch barbs respectively), then run a 1/2 inch hose from those barb fittings to the sump barb fittings for the supply and 5/8 inch hose for the return? Is there a worry about the change in hose sizes through so many different parts?

Do I run a larger line all the way to the mechanical lift pump? Pushlock hose?

Any other ideas?

Again if these may sound like dumb questions, I'm glad I didn't post my original thoughts on how to accomplish it.... haha

Thanks so much in advance for insight. You all are very much appreciated to a newcomer like myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88