Need more power!

Bear

Reaction score
Ok people I have a 98 1/2 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins 24 Valve with a 5 speed. I need more power and wonder if anybody could tell me what the absolute best bang for the buck is.

What are these trucks stock for horse power, and how much can I jack it up without spending serious money?

Thanks

Bear

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
is it a 12 valve or 24

my question exactly

98=12 valve

98.5=24 valve

if its a 98 then your motor is all mechanical and we can get ya alot more power with just some tuning and without buying any parts

a 98.5 24 valve a gooz first step box like an edge EZ would be fantistic .........used ones out there for 200-250

Batman

Reaction score
Bear, any of the lower power adders will work well without you needing to upgrade your clutch, if your easy on it. These usually ad 60hp and wake these trucks up a bit.
Of course, changing your air cleaner and going to at least a 4" exhaust will help keep things from getting too hot.

The first thing I would do, is add gauges, at a minumum, fuel pressure and egt.

All the things I mentioned s/b less than a grand if you install yourself.

good luck

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Step 1 - Gages. You will need boost, EGT, and fuel pressure. If you have an suto then you'll need a trans temp gage too.

Step 2 - BHAF

Step 3 - Either cut off the factory muffler (if you're staying fairly close ot stock) or install a 4" system.

Step 4 - Power box

Step 5 - Clutch

Step 6 - Injectors

cloud addict

Reaction score
i just got gages for my 2000 cummins, it has been reprogramed by hyper tech programer, im 16 and idk to much about diesels yet? whats the step 2 mean BHAF? and should i get a smarty or edge product for step 4?

Thank you

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
BHAF= Big Honkin' Air Filter (Put the biggest, open element air filter and pipe you can find and make sure she gets fresh air)
IIRC the stick motor is 215hp, could be wrong.

cloud addict

Reaction score
ok, can i get a smarty if i have allready installed my hyper tech reprogrammer? are they like the same thing? the hyper tech and smarty?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Look up thoroughbreddiesel.com and give them a call about whether or not the Smarty is stackable with the Hypertech. If you don't do the other mods and stack controllers, you are going to hurt the driveline.

cloud addict

Reaction score
ok, on the injectors could i get stage three jammers with out a fass fuel sysytem or should i get them both when i add the jammers?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Before I answer, what exactly do you want to do with the truck? Do you have a dollar limit, because everything has to work together. Fueling and airflow must be matched, otherwise you'll have a black smoke belching engine that suffers high exhaust temps and bad fuel economy.
Now having said that, the VP44 pumps, like the one you have on your truck, got messed up because the lift pump (supply pump) would fail. A FASS System should be mandatory and one of the first things you do so you don't have to face replacing your injection pump.
Very expensive, even for a rebuild. Put the highest capacity FASS unit on with larger lines, and this way you'll have room to grow as you hop up the truck.
Injector wise, I'd wait. Max out what you have first, drive it around and see what you think. The truck, even without putting injectors in, is going to be an animal. When you pull the trigger on a motor that has over 650ft/lbs, you'll see what I mean.
If you still need more after that, then do the injectors and turbo at the same time. Aggressive fueling and timing is going to max the turbo out in short order, so ask the injector supplier what turbo has the airflow requirements to burn up the extra fuel so it makes power instead of wasted heat and smoke.
I'm telling ya, the driveline is going to play "The Weakest Link" , so make sure everything from the flywheel back can take it.

cloud addict

Reaction score
the stock turbo on my 2000 cummins is a hx 35, right how much better is a hx 40 because i seen one for sell today online for 200, is it any better then the stock for thst price?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Without knowing which engine the HX40 came from and its power rating, it'll be a guess. If you want to do something, find someone to that can bend some pipe and add the HX40 to the stock HX35 for a compound twin system. You get the extra air, which will drop the exhaust temps and help burn the extra fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance