Need more gears.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I was thinking the size of the starter, for clearance, with the larger everything else...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the addition of a turbo and your other upgrades, I think you’ll be fine with your current setup. I wouldn’t worry about going with a custom trans setup until you’ve experienced the truck with the turbo, if your turbo/fuel/engine is good, expect at least double as much power as you had in the 6.9. I’ve hauled my 38’ antique Avion trailer with the shop truck and had no issues with my 300k mile zf5-s42, even with 3.55s and 33” tires, I never had an issue between gears. Remember this is a v8 diesel and you need to run it out to at least 3k then shift, you will find even in 3rd and 4th you will be back in the meat of the torque curve.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the addition of a turbo and your other upgrades, I think you’ll be fine with your current setup. I wouldn’t worry about going with a custom trans setup until you’ve experienced the truck with the turbo, if your turbo/fuel/engine is good, expect at least double as much power as you had in the 6.9. I’ve hauled my 38’ antique Avion trailer with the shop truck and had no issues with my 300k mile zf5-s42, even with 3.55s and 33” tires, I never had an issue between gears. Remember this is a v8 diesel and you need to run it out to at least 3k then shift, you will find even in 3rd and 4th you will be back in the meat of the torque curve.

I agree, I'll leave it for now and see how it goes with the turbo. If I do end up putting in a different trans setup I''ll be sure to document it for anyone else who wants to do it. It should be even easier in the bullnose and up trucks as u2slow stated.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check how (if?) that will work on the IDI.... its native block pattern is rounded, not squared-off like the 7.3PSD. I supposed the adapters can be stacked, but that makes for conflicting starter locations. Hmmm...
hmm... I hadn't thought of that. I bet I could cut the ford starter location off, and mount the sae starter to its respective location. Then I could machine a spacer the same thickness as the ford adapter for the flywheel, that would put everything in alignment for the stacked adapters. I'm only about to turn 19 sooo this is all on a budget and the more custom parts the better as far as I'm concerned. I love doing the work and being able to say I made it myself, even though it makes it hard to replace things, but I try to keep the consumables or wear items as oem as possible

So I have a big issue, the output yoke on my zf5 cracked and I can't find one online.

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p4..._1350_series_bolt_on_yoke_for_29_spline_.html

This is the only one I can find but as you can see it says its no longer available. Also holy bejebus on that price. that's almost as much as I paid for the whole transmission...

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow you can probably find a 2wd ZF5 for not much more than that!

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep thank you wes. I need the one in the link, if the one you have is the same spline count/diameter and cap/width as that its the one. How much for it?

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. My ZFs have been cheaper than that yoke.

Maybe find a ZF with the ratios you want, and steal the yoke as a temp fix.

Some guys redrill the wide-ratio 460 ZF5 to fit the diesel.
https://www.oilburners.net/posts/908967/

There's a junkyard up in the hills that doesn't see much traffic and a couple years ago I stopped in and buried way in the back of an old school bus used for storage there was a 2wd 460 trans. My buddy IDI_journeyman is knowledgeable in swapping the case's. I'll probably go that route for now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since that has a T444E in it, it would still have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than your IDI does.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since that has a T444E in it, it would still have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than your IDI does.
does it not have the same bellhousing as a 7.3 pstroke? It was my understanding the t44e and 7.3 have the same bellhousing pattern. I was just going to bolt the sae2 adapter to the ford one, cut off the ford starter location and make a flywheel spacer.