Need Ignition Switch???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Having electrical issues and believe my ignition switch is failing.Ebay has several part numbers. These are the two I'm looking at.
Motorcraft SW-2472 fits 87 to 91 rigs
F2TA-11572-EA. This is printed on the switch.
I believe both of these are the same item but need someone to hold my hand on this electricalissue. I SO HATE ELECTRICAL.... This morning I smoked some wires beside the passenger side battery. Lots of fuse-able links involved but no idea why one in particular smoked....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would just grab one from the parts store.
Then if it's wrong you can take it right back in, instead of shipping it back. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Get the pigtail while you're at it, mine disintegrated when I changed mine, had to make a second trip.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I have an entire steering column laying around :cool:sly lol.

Did they smoke when the gpc was running? I hate the gpc... fact i have a spare riding shotgun with me

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not sure how or when the fusible links sm0ked. Have not dug in under the dash yet so.. got to get in and remove the switch. then take it in when I purchase a new one. No idea if the pig tails for the switch will be required yet.
Another note when this happened this morning. My radio quit working. I turned off the engine and fired it back up. Then saw the smoke coming out from the hood passenger side area. Damn it..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed an ignition switch thinking it was my problem when actually it was a fusible link causing my issues. Sounds to me like with the cascade of problems you are having of late, you may have a bad section of harness somewhere Gary.

If memory serves there are 5 fusible links.

Brakes/hazards
Trailer charge
Trailer brake supply
GPs
General power to the fuse block under the dash.

If the hazards work, and the brake control charging system works that pretty much leaves the main power.

Thinking on known common problems:

Headlight switch
Engine harness
Fuel selector

Those are the areas I’d start looking in. A heavy draw would cause you issues and burn the links. If that link is burnt, I don’t think you’d have a starter circuit either which may be why you think you need a switch.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
After I got home from work when this wire or fusible link smoked I was able to start up and move the rig.No smoke or any other issue. Now I wish I had run everything to see what did not work.I started another post asking for a wiring diagram of the main under hood harness. The link that smoked is an 18 gauge on the large yellow wire going across the front of the truck. I think it feeds power to the fuse panel or the ignition switch.Just do not know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online