Need help

Rprl

Reaction score
That's for letting me join. Have a question. I have recently picked up a Frankenstein. A 93 crew gasser converted to a 7.3. Not sure if engine year.

The beast was idling when it shut down. Burned out a 20amp fuse. Replaced the fuse still did not fire up. Fuel at filter. Not sure what the fuse is for everything is basterdised.

Any help would be great. I think I'll be posting more here by the looks of it. Thanks Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. About the easiest way to start these engines when you have issues like this is to run a hot jumper from either battery positive post directly to the top of the injection pump electrical fitting. See on top of the injection pump there are 2 wires. The wire closest to the radiator is the one you need to run the hot wire to. the back connection is the internal electrical advance for cold starts. It will stop working when the engine coolant reaches 120 degrees same as the fast idle. In fact both of those are fed from the same sender that is behind the thermostat housing. If when you apply electrical power from a battery to this fitting on top of the pump and you hear a single click. that tells you the injection pump fuel shutoff solenoid is working. In fact you can turn the ignition key to the on place and remove the factory wire and listen for the click. If the click is heard then you have proper power to the injection pump and your non start issues are someplace else.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the wire on the pump is red with a green stripe. It's the same one I used to hook up an electric fuel pump

Rprl

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I drive semi and will try these when I get back. Like I said before previous owners have hacked away at this and I can't tell Whats what. Guess everyone needs a hobby.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice only applies if they used the IDI wiring harness, but most people do.

Good luck. You can make the starter crank over, glow the glowplugs, turn on the injection pump, and start the rig all under the hood (you would do the reverse of what I typed basically). being its a hackjob though, we would need pics to try and suggest how...

As for the fuse, it would be good to find out what it went to. forgot to ask if it cranks/glows or not?