Need help!!!!

Kjones

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Needing some help pretty fast. It's been awhile since i've been on here. I just got a job traveling Texas,Oklahoma and Arkansas selling western wear products and I am looking at buying an 06' or 07' cummins. I need to get around 20 mpg and will be putting 60-70k miles on it a year. I looked at a truck today and was pretty close to buying it. It's an 06' 3500 6 spd 4x4 short bed with 13,000 miles on it for $31,500. Is this a good deal? Also what after market products can i put on it without voiding the warranty that will increase my mileage. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would talk em down to the 28kish range
as for mods that dont effect warranty
cold air intake
exhaust

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the Kelly Blue Book to make sure you don't get the screws put to ya on price. www.kbb.com I don't buy cars without looking them up and try to get them as close to trade in value as possible. Hope this helps. Happy Hunting.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 06 with the G56 and 3.73s is equivalent to a NV5600 truck with 4.10 rears...you will be hard p[ressed to get even close to 20mpg out of it consistently.

I have an 04.5 with a nv5600 and 4.10s and, while I can get 20+mpg, it is not consistent.

I would look for an auto with 3.73s for what you are doing IMO. The autos have a higher OD ratio and that, combined with the 3.73 rear, will net you the most MPG out of the newer trucks.

steved

Kjones

Reaction score
can you get a 6 spd with 3.73 gears. The trucks i'm looking at now are all 07' 2500 4x4 slt 6 spds crew cab swb. The lowest i've gotten the dealers is down to about 33k. I don't know if it's a good deal or not. I've been to about 25 dealerships in Northeast Texas and parts of Arkansas. Were about a thousand off with the negative equity of my old truck.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get a 6 spd with 3.73 gears. The trucks i'm looking at now are all 07' 2500 4x4 slt 6 spds crew cab swb. The lowest i've gotten the dealers is down to about 33k. I don't know if it's a good deal or not. I've been to about 25 dealerships in Northeast Texas and parts of Arkansas. Were about a thousand off with the negative equity of my old truck.

That's what I said, the G56 (six speed manual) only comes with 3.73s. It is equivalent to the NV5600 (or the 4spd auto) with 4.10s. If you want the best mileage and ANY real road speed, get the auto with 3.73s...the six speed is a little clunky and slow.

steved