Need HELP with PSD

texasking254

Reaction score
Ok im working on a f-250 99 PSD its at a friends shop and hasn't look at it tell now be its not starting he said a customer got it towed to hes shop and the customer was driving and the truck just died that all he knows. it has fuel we replaced the cps from another truck that was running and i replaced the hpop and tried to stared it today and it didn't work but my question is when cranking it it cranking show with full charged batters im thinking it the starer what do you guys think and how do i get this truck run again? please HELP!!:dunno

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any white smoke while cranking? No smoke = no fuel. That means bad fuel pump or the fuel heater shorted out which disables the IDM (blows the fuse that powers the IDM). Those are common failures. A bad IDM is another failure however not as common as the two previously mentioned.

texasking254

Reaction score
how do i check of/or where is the fuse at for the IMD? and will there be white smoke if its cranking slow?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to check fuse #22 in the underhood box.
I can't remember the minimum cranking rpm for the computer to fire the injectors, but it is pretty low, when I finally got mine fired up last night it was on 2 half dead batteries and it just spun over but still lit off.
My truck was giving the symptoms of a blown IDM fuse, but, actually had a fried pcm...

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
IDM fuse on a 99 is the #30 fuse in the dash..
does the "wait to start" light come one when you flip the key to run?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right... I forgot.. Been a while since I worked on a SD(05 when I last had mine... LOL,) fuse is #30 on the dash panel, relay is #106 in the under hood panel

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#30 fuse is a 30 amp fuse (Green), also powers the fuel filter heater. If it's blown look for the fuel heater to be shorted out, just unplug it if it is. Don't need it anyhow. But if you want to replace it get the one from IH truck dealer around $30. Lot better than the one from Ford and a whole lot cheaper.

You must be registered for see images

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have smoke when it's cranking? And how much rpm is indicated when cranking?
Also, if the computer is seeing less than 10.5V, it will not turn on the injectors.

texasking254

Reaction score
Guess what guys there was gas in the tank the whole time so I drained it and put 5gallons of diesel in but still no start so not what do I do I also drained the fuel bowl thing so now what do I do how do I get the gas out if the line to the injetors?

texasking254

Reaction score
Ok I got all hhe gas out and diesel in I drained the fuel rails by unscrew the fuel rail screw from the back but now I not not hpo I pluged it in and I'm only getin lke 13 and I think I need 400 for the injeters to fire so I'm got to check the injeter o rings is there somewhere else I can look there no leaks that I can see?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you fill up the fuel bowl with diesel? The fuel pump will only run for 20 seconds, each time the key is turned on or until the fuel pressure reaches 45 PSI. When the engine starts the fuel pump will run continuously, any fuel pressure over 55 PSI is dumped back to tank by the fuel pressure regulator. Keep cycling the key on-off-on til the pump only runs for about 5-10 seconds then try to start.

Last edited:

texasking254

Reaction score
Yea I got fuel in the the bowl I'm takling about the high peresser oil I only getin like 10 to 13 and I need 400 for the injeter to fire