need help with 6.9 timing mark

projectredsled

clackin along......
Reaction score
im new to diesels and i just recently picked up an 86 f250 with the 6.9 in it. im reading up and trying to learn as much as i can. The truck starts good and runs pretty good (as far as i can tell) but after driving it 30 minutes or so or after long idling it seems to loose power and sometimes it gets jerky with throttle. I looked at the IP timing mark to see if it was static timed when the previous owner installed the new pump but the two marks (one on the cover and the other on the pump) are WAY off. the cover mark is at 12 o clock but the mark on the pump is a little past 2 o clock position (even though the IP looks like it is sitting in there straight up.) I do know that the P.O. said he swapped the pump for one that came off a 7.3 but from what i can tell the marks should still be in the same position (or at least VERY close to each other). Anybody have any pointers?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
First off welcome to the world of diesels and OB, a wealth of information here and members that will take the time to help answer your questions.....

The marks are punched on the ip and timing cover at the factory after the truck is timed. If the ip is ever rebuilt or another one is installed the truck has to be re-timed with a meter.....

Yours being set at the two o'clock position of the stamped mark on the cover suggests, that it is retarded in timing, thus giving you the low to no power symtom and needs to be advanced, I maybe wrong. Someone with more experience will chrime in. You will need to find a respectful shop or purchase your own meter to time it properly. If you do carry it to a diesel shop, beware of those that time by ear.

Hope this may have given you insight...

projectredsled

clackin along......
Reaction score
im looking around locally for a good diesel shop. I found 2 close by but they both say that they are experts and can do it by ear. so i politely declined and am continuing my search. as far as the pump timing being retarded....if they loosen the bolts and turn the pump to line them up to get them at least close to each other it seems like the IP would have to be titled almost on its side to get them to line up. Or am I completely wrong and the IP isnt the part that gets rotated? I will also see if i can get some pics tomorrow to help explain what i mean.

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about your description. If the timing marks are as you described them, one at 12 o'clock and the other at 2 o'clock, then the pump would be leaning over at 60°, and I doubt seriously that your engine would run. If it's running with the injector pump leaning at 60°, then the timing gears have slipped a number of teeth. But you say the pump is sitting upright and vertical, so therefore the marks cannot be off that far.

Your first job is to get in there with a rag, wipe down the area, and verify the timing marks. Take and post a picture of them if you can. Something just doesn't seem right.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
There should be a line at the top. On my rebuilt pump it looked like it was almost ground off and there was another at 2 o'clock like yours. Look carefully at the top and see if you can find the marks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will give you an idea of where the marks (close) should be. The top mark is on the IP, 5th pic. Like said above, if the marks are that far off, it could be the PO took the tower off to change the pump and the gear jumped some teeth. Unless you take the front cover off and line up the (check) marks you won't know.
Icanfixall has a good pic of the gears with the cover off.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?42782-Timing-a-7-3-with-a-Ferret-adapter

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it runs well, starts easily, and you aren't having any problems......... leave it alone. A mark on a rebuild pump doesn't mean much. It'd be best to get it timed with a meter, but that's getting harder to do. Most shops don't have the equipment or the experience to do so. Too bad you are so far from Michigan. Mel could time your truck for you for free if you could make it to the Rally there this July.

Heath

projectredsled

clackin along......
Reaction score
There should be a line at the top. On my rebuilt pump it looked like it was almost ground off and there was another at 2 o'clock like yours. Look carefully at the top and see if you can find the marks.

That must be what happened with mine. You can see where it looks like there was a line on the pump but it was ground off and then another line was put on it at 2 o clock.

projectredsled

clackin along......
Reaction score
If it runs well, starts easily, and you aren't having any problems......... leave it alone. A mark on a rebuild pump doesn't mean much. It'd be best to get it timed with a meter, but that's getting harder to do. Most shops don't have the equipment or the experience to do so. Too bad you are so far from Michigan. Mel could time your truck for you for free if you could make it to the Rally there this July.

Heath

Im always out and about on the road. I will see if I cant make it to the rally.

projectredsled

clackin along......
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That mark at the 2 oclock position ment something back when the pump was original from the factory. But now its just another mark that means nothing. Thanks for the picture so I could offer a comment to help you out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel that the way the engine runs changes as it gets warm, then in all likelyhood timing isn't going to fix it, especially if you say it is getting jerky. That is more likely just a bum pump or a problem with the fuel supply. Air in the fuel can cause rough running, and your tank pickups could be sucking plenty of it if your fuel is not full at the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Staff online