need help on tuning 7.3 IDI

blue rally

Reaction score
I tell ya living here on the coast of Oregon is Great !! :Thumbs Up . When it comes to renting tools especially Automotive well thats a different :frustrate So to say I cannot rent one unless I go closer to the I5 corridor or metropolitan area. :mad:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall rents meters to members. He will ship it to you. Contact him

Fixed it fer ya....
+1 its the only way to do it.
The turbo for $150. If complete is a great deal.
Still need a run by russ( typ4)

blue rally

Reaction score
update- just had a friend who is a diesel mechanic for the big rigs and cats who works out in the field for a local lumber mill for over 20 yrs. he did not have his service truck with him , but managed to tune it a bit more by ear and now the truck has more torque and can almost do a power brake burn out. he will be timing it for me come next week using a light. he was also thinking about tuning the injection pump with a pyrometer later on after I get a turbo and a couple of new injectors he said was leaking a bit. He told me they rebuild theirs in the shop and its more likely the rings are bad and he suggested that new ones made in the U.S.A. are the ones to get. others are just asking for issues later on. He is also going to be seeing if they have any others in their supply that are new and just sitting as they used to use nothing but 7.3 in their medium duty trucks, before going to the newer fords. so hopefully......;Sweet

blue rally

Reaction score
Turbo Assembly help

ok , I now have acquired a banks turbo system , used. It was not the same one as I was told I was getting as someone had damaged that one. so I am posting some picts on what I did get. there are some extra parts and parts I not sure about. I need some info on how to assemble this unit. I looks straight forward, but as I have found out looks can be deceiving.

the 1st and second picts are of the air cleaner and extra parts, some look like from an ats turbo housing..

You must be registered for see images attach

these next 2 are of the turbo, It was originally taken apart to remove it, I do not know if there was a gasket between them or not same with the turbo " stand" were it mounts?

this is the exaust "y" pipe and this other pipe I am not sure but it looks like it may have come from a cummins?

no I also need to know if I am missing any parts other than the obvious nuts and bolts that was not saved -So I will need to find some. :dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No gasket.
The 6 hole flanged pipe looks like the other oddball turbo that was available. Mounted to the side. (Like a Cummins does)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

blue rally

Reaction score
So it looks like I am missing the correct downpipe, any other parts missing that you can tell? is there a piece that is supposed to bolt onto the front of the engine oil/ip gear cover plate for the long hose? This generation does not look as simple as the 1st that I was supposed to be getting, that would let me use the same airfilter. so tell me is this any better than the 1st?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have the Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo with the V clamp down pipe. Most of the parts pictured are for the first generation turbo which you do not have. You do not have the crossover exhaust pipes. the one you have is the first gen pipe. that large square box is the first gen too as is the square intake hat towards the back of the first pic. In the first pic the turbo hat in front is for the sidewinder turbo as is the CDR valve and connector. You can see how that matches up to the intake housing to the turbo. I'm not seeing the actual turbo mount but I do see one that might be the first gen and wont work on your sidewinder. Post up a better pic of it so others can see it too.

blue rally

Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of what the downpipe should look like? Also it loos as if there was a gasket between the turbo and the standpipe were the turbo mounted. can anyone tell me about the oil pressure hose? could I possibly use something like a hardline? like a brake line? also since I am missing the bolts that mount to the motor should I get standard grade or higher and would stainless be overkill?

blue rally

Reaction score
more picts

ok more picts , sorry got the parts late last night and just took some quick picts,

looks like this with air cleaner assembly

I have 2 different pressure chambers as it was called, one will not mount the air cleaner , but the other will. . however the 1st is the correct size inlet that comes off from the turbo and the other one is a bit smaller, but was told it will still work with an adapter hose that is avail. :dunno

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Got your pm. I can't say.
I've only been around the gen 2 waste gated banks, and that was awhile ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pic 4 is correct but 5 is not correct. Neither is pic one. The inlet housing must be lifted up the match the correct intake manifold hat that you have. Then the other CDR valve and housing connects to the turbo inlet bell. Banks will sell you the soft parts and the oil pressure line. As for the cast iron exhaust housing missing parts Banks might be able to sell those too. Contact Banks and ask for an essembly booket so you can see the parts and the part numbers you need. I'm thinking someone modified this gen 1 to fit the Banks sidewinder wastegated turbo. I think they both have the same T3 exhaust housing 4 bolt inlet.

blue rally

Reaction score
I think your right about modifying it, the other turbo was trashed thanks to someone cracking the aluminum housing , but it looked the same for t3 exhaust. The bad turbo actually came off that down pipe and the 2 housings of the turbo was bolted together and not clamped. I just got all the parts I could at the time. The others I was looking at on my truck is that it originally came equipped with an ats turbo. I cannot locate any used ats turbo and was wondering if they had same setup ,just a different turbo. so do you think I might be able to get this unit to work if I do get the correct down pipe and soft parts? I might have to make a bracket to hold the air filter housing. in other words modify it like it probably was in the past?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online