need help on tuning 7.3 IDI

blue rally

Reaction score
wow

WOWZERS!! I tell ya some ppl just don't know what they are talkin about when you mention early sidewinder, 1st generation or 2nd generation, they tell ya there is no such thing. this is a wrecking yard just north of reedsport. about 2 hrs north of my location. they was very animate that there was only add on turbos and no such for fords just 2 models of turbos , one with ram air and one like mine with rectangular shape. And this place deals a lot in trucks and has 2 salvage yards. cookoo I told them that it originally had an ATS turbo system and proceeded to tell me I did not know what I was talkin about since ATS was ONLY for GM. I think not !!! Oh< well they won't be getting any of my business and word gets around here on the coast fast in the smaller cities.

with that being said I will be scouring the country side for the remainder of the parts, the main one is exhaust downpipe flange. I did contact Banks and I would be able to get a few parts , but not all and it would cost a lot. Tech support was not able to help me find the exhaust part I needed, the most important. they knew exactly what I was talkin about since I was able to see a schematic of the parts.

so If anyone has any ideas were I can find some parts please let me know, thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wrecking yard has the cream of the crop of experts. Drug fried idiots, I stopped in once.
The early setup you passed on I have a few parts for. Like the comp housing. I don't have anything for the later one. I can rebuild the turbo but its not cheap.

blue rally

Reaction score
hey Russ I have most of the parts for the one that takes ram air , cant remember if that was the early setup or not, but its the one I have most of the parts for. I was thinking about putting an ATS turbo on it like it originally came with, but you hardly hear anything about them. the turbo I have has virtually no play whatsoever, the waste gate valve has hardly any play either. I think I lucked out with this unit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have a gen 2 turbo. the outlet is v-clamp and and gen1 is bolt-on via 6 small bolts.
i do have a downpipe for that turbo.
yes I got your pm.

blue rally

Reaction score
you have a gen 2 turbo. the outlet is v-clamp and and gen1 is bolt-on via 6 small bolts.
i do have a downpipe for that turbo.
yes I got your pm.

how much do you want for the down pipe? and how much do you think the gen1 parts are worth? if I don't need them , then I would like to sell them to someone who can use them. maybe even trade.

blue rally

Reaction score
I was in another city today shopping and one of the exhaust shops I contacted earlier this week called and said he has a downpipe for me and to just come and get it. I did not have my turbo with so I took it home . well I thought it was a good deal, but as you can see by the self explanatory picts....

downpipe
You must be registered for see images attach

downpipe and turbo

downpipe

turbo

so I am still looking for the correct size downpipe.

blue rally

Reaction score
Pic 4 is correct but 5 is not correct. Neither is pic one. The inlet housing must be lifted up the match the correct intake manifold hat that you have. Then the other CDR valve and housing connects to the turbo inlet bell. Banks will sell you the soft parts and the oil pressure line. As for the cast iron exhaust housing missing parts Banks might be able to sell those too. Contact Banks and ask for an essembly booket so you can see the parts and the part numbers you need. I'm thinking someone modified this gen 1 to fit the Banks sidewinder wastegated turbo. I think they both have the same T3 exhaust housing 4 bolt inlet.

contacted banks and they no longer sell some of the softparts and what they do is expensive, tech support also told me they no longer stock the downpipe or the clamp on flange. they sell the expensive v clamp tho.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E bay for v clamps, turbo outlet one. I may have some also.

blue rally

Reaction score
I have not been able to locate a downpipe on ebay, however I did run across this site, http://turbo-flanges.com/products. they have all usa made products at reasonable prices and some hard to find parts as well. If I cannot find a downpipe I might have to get the flange at this site and make a pipe, sigh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online