Need Help from a CAT mech. with Factory Passwords!

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I need help from a current CAT mechanic that can get me the factory passwords for the ECM. I bought a CAT Programmer/Analyzer and I need the passwords to be able to uprate the engine! I know that you will need the engine serial no. the programmer serial no. and I think a thing or two more to get it. Is there anyone who can help me out out there in this great big diesel land?????
Thanks, Hoss.... ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I'm not a mechanic but I fought Cat for a tear to get my truck turned up. I even went to friends that were heavy truck mechanics & asked them to do it.

That password comes from Caterpillar & from what I understand , changes constantly. It's not a "1 password does all" kind of thing.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
my dad and i put a used c10 into his truck and had some computer issues and preferences changed anyways you can have the passwords changed to 000000000000 so that you know the password also helps when you have problems on the road to uprate the horsepower from 350 to 370 the corporate office charges 500 dollars supposedly for some epa reg don't know if its true or not. if you can get the truck to altorfer's cat on the south side of springfield il they will probably change the password for you the nightime shop supervisor is really good to deal with.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Passwords - Hah!

Hey There Apex!

I didn't know that they change on a regular basis. But I did realize that it takes more than one though. I have the programmer and I have the service book from cat on how to use it what can be changed. As in factory changes and customer changes. If I had the right cable to hook it up (which is supposedly on the way) I can change some of the things I want without the passwords but, I can't uprate it like I want without them. Wish I had some better ties to a cat dealer though too. I have a friend (aquaintance?) an hour away that might have some insight though too. I just need to get ahold of him and ask. I hope that I can find some help sometime down the road.

Thanks Apex, Hoss....

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
What year motor is this you're working on? I've only had dealings with an ACERT CAT (c-15) & could be giving you bad info. I know when they uprated mine it required the CAT password, a password from Peterbilt, & there was a CD ROM used I guess wipe the ECM clean & reload the new data. I've heard the CAT guys call it a "flash file"

You should PM a member named Packrat & shoot some questions at him. Works on alot of CAT stuff & has led me in the right direction many times.

Oh, & I fought with CAT for a year not a tear as I typed in my first post. However, by the end of that ordeal, I was ready to cry LOL

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Passwords! - More like PISSWORDS!

Hey Guys!

Well huge I'll probably never get it by Springfield but, that is nice to know. You don't suppose you could get a phone number and maybe I could give him a call and see what he will do over the phone?!

apex,

I have a 1995 T600 with a 3406E. Have you heard or seen anything of the '07 as of yet?????? Sure sounds like a nice ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure hope to get something figured out and still haven't seen the right cable show up yet either!

See Ya Boys! And BTW - Thanks!
Hoss.... ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Hoss6.9 said:
Hey Guys!

Have you heard or seen anything of the '07 as of yet?????? Sure sounds like a nice ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an '07 coming. It will be ready tuesday 8/29 for delivery. Doesn't mean I'll go get it then but not long after that hopefully. I haven't seen anything newer than an 05' on the inside yet. Looking forward to it though.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
We've got 4 "07's" on the road, and another 1 coming in next week. Don't get your hopes up for any improvements in mileage or power.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
PackRat said:
We've got 4 "07's" on the road, and another 1 coming in next week. Don't get your hopes up for any improvements in mileage or power.

I would expect no less -cuss . I've heard the Platnium interior is supposed to be quieter than the American Class. That really all I'm looking forward too.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
1 thing we had to do on all our new trucks is uprate the trailer ABS/power fuse. Our new vans have onboard scales. Between that and the ABS, the factory fuse was not enough.

BTW, the last 379 we are getting will be here Thursday. I hate the looks of the 389. Looks like a Pete dressed up to look like a Freightshaker. :puke:

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Well, Nothing new on the password front!

Hey Scott!

Have ya seen the '07 yet? Would you ever happen to get near Reading, PA and then out this way in IN.? I have got a shur-lok tarp setup bought from a guy in Mohnton, PA just south of reading and he isn't interested at all in trying help me get it shipped. The tarp pipe is 17'ft. long and it could be cut in half if it HAD to be! Or anyone else out there big riggin' ever get in these two areas. It's nothing terribly pressing, but I'd like to get something arranged and get the pieces that I need from this setup! I'm in Northeast Indiana. About 3 miles from I80-90 (The Spanish/Austrailian Toll Road) near the 126 mile marker. And about 15 miles west of I-69 and 3 miles north of US20..... Can you or anyone help me out?

Just thought I'd check it out!

Thanks Guys!
Hoss.... ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go over to superdutydiesel.com and pm mudwhistle he is a cat mechanic.he may or may not be willing or able to help you but its worth a shot.

06bowtie_guy

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same or what you are looking for but at work we have a fleet of cat scoop trams with 3176 engines. The tuning options are always locked up untill the warrenty is over then they seem to unlock them for us, the rep always knows the pw but doesn't tell us it.

When you say you have programmer/ analizer do you mean a cat data link and the computer program to access the ecm?
That is what we have at work. Might be different though since you are talking truck engines and I'm talking underground mining equipment.

Ak HDM

Reaction score
Hoss, do you have the ET program or the ECAP unit? My experience with Cat ET programs is that they have 2 different programs, 1 for customers & it is unable to change HP ratings,1 for dealers that can change HP with the flash file CD, but you have to get a password from the factory & only the dealer can get the password, AFAIK.
Mike

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Still Looking!

Hey Guys!
I went to Superduty and talked with mudwhistle and he was more than willing to help, but after quite a while now. He hasn;t responded to any of my pm's to see what he could come up with!

I have an actual CAT programmer/analyzer. It's in a green case and it's made right in the case. But, I don't have the cable to connect it to my KW port. And mudwhistle was gonna get a cable for me from work so that i could change things.

AK
I don't know what system is in this unit, but it will do both programs. I know there are two sets of passwords. One for the customer parameters and one set for the dealer/factory parameters that are the ones to uprate the engine with. i would like to have both sets. What I would really like to change though is a customer parameter that turns the clutch fan on with the jake and the other is that the jake won't come with the cruise power switch in the "on" position until you touch the brake pedal. And after you let off of the brake and use the accelerator to downshift, then you have to step on the brake pedal again to get the jake back.... And as far as the uprate goes - I could live without that, but I sure would like to have it though! I really need a cable to hook it up to the KW though!!!!! I thought sure I could find someone that could help me out. I haven't had a whole lot of success though so far!

Thanks all for chiming in and see if any of ya can help me out.

Hoss....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online