Need hand crank pump suggestion for wmo setup

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quality hand pump that I can use for filtering and collecting wmo . I will have one in the truck for collection and one at the house for filtering . I want a good hand operated pump that will last a long time / rebuildable , I'm not interested in electric pumps ...

Any suggestions ?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Look up how to make a super sucker, you can use a hand pump but that is really doing it the hard way. I have a cheap harbor freight hand pump and it wears me out and makes me want to punch something after about 5-10 mins of cranking to put out a few gallons. My brother in law bought a nice one from tractor supply with about the same results. They pump far less than their ratings with the thicker wmo especially cold.

If that is what you really want go for it I am just telling you my disappointments with mine. Hate to see you blow hard earned cash to be disappointed to. Do you have one you could borrow to find put?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Look up how to make a super sucker, you can use a hand pump but that is really doing it the hard way. I have a cheap harbor freight hand pump and it wears me out and makes me want to punch something after about 5-10 mins of cranking to put out a few gallons. My brother in law bought a nice one from tractor supply with about the same results. They pump far less than their ratings with the thicker wmo especially cold.

If that is what you really want go for it I am just telling you my disappointments with mine. Hate to see you blow hard earned cash to be disappointed to. Do you have one you could borrow to find put?

Good advice!

To OP: I'm not sure about your oil collection situation so I'll share about mine. I get tons of WMO from a few commercial interests that are gracious enough to give it all to me. I take it as my responsibility to make sure I"m in and out of their hair as fast as I can. I want to pump out however much WMO I need as quickly as possible, and get my collection setup out of their way as quickly as possible. Secondly, I am focused on making sure I don't spill even a drop of WMO anywhere out of respect to these businesses. The super sucker has another added benefit, in that it doesn't need ANY power sources (I arrive with my tank charged) Whereas those with an electric pump setup are asking to "borrow" electricity, and or those with a hand pump are on site for a very long time collecting oil.

Just some things to think about as you start your collection practices of WMO. Your a stronger man than I if you want to get your workout completed with a hand pump!

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.drillspot.com/products/69197/Dayton_4HA38_Drum_Pump

I'm sure you can find a better price, but we use these to empty drums of unmixed coolant at work. I've never heard of one failing, and they are surprisingly easy to crank even when pumping out sludge. I would guess about 5 minutes to empty a 55 gallon drum. Course you'd probably be a little winded afterward.

I'm often tempted to try pulling off the crank arm and chucking up the shaft in a cordless drill. :sly

subway

Reaction score
http://www.drillspot.com/products/69197/Dayton_4HA38_Drum_Pump

I'm sure you can find a better price, but we use these to empty drums of unmixed coolant at work. I've never heard of one failing, and they are surprisingly easy to crank even when pumping out sludge. I would guess about 5 minutes to empty a 55 gallon drum. Course you'd probably be a little winded afterward.

I'm often tempted to try pulling off the crank arm and chucking up the shaft in a cordless drill. :sly

that looks like the one my BIL has, trust me they are not putting out there rated output if the WMO is cold. it is far harder and slower to pump! once i was down at the outer banks for vacation and my black bed tank was sitting in the hot 100 deg sun all day. i used my hand pump to empty out some of my WMO into a couple of 5 gal cans for my BIL. cranking the pump was easy then and i could do it in a few seconds, my oil was probubly in the 120-130 or more range though since i could bearly touch it.

that was the only time it was easy to pump, coolant is far lighter than WMO.

like mentioned to homelessduck try one if you can to get a feel, they are handy in a pinch but i would not want one for my main pump.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Maybe I will go with an electric setup and just keep the hand crank pump in storage incase I need it.
So basically I need one of these pumps for a "Super Sucker" : http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

And an air tank or a water heater tank .

Then I would need one of these : http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=azt7T-qqC6moiALSjvUu&ved=0CIwBEPICMAA#

( I will get the one that HF sells, but I couldn't find it on their site. )

If I were to go this route I would buy 2 inverters and run them off a 12v source.

OR, I could go with a gravity feed filtration setup.. How long does it usually take a gravity feed system to filter 55 gallons?

subway

Reaction score
i have not built mine due to time constraints and biking season is picking up but i have seen some guys on youtube tapping into there brake booster for vacuum and claiming it provided plenty to go off of. i am going to try this to start off with, the stock vacuum pump should pump down to about 18" or so.

as far as the clear water pump i have used one of them to collect and it was SLOW, they are hard to get going since they cannot pull a vacuum to start and once they do they are pumping about 2 gal a min. it took me over half an hour to fill a 55 gallon drum with it and it was transmission fluid. that was with the wast tank 2 ft off the ground with 50ft of 3/4 hose and the 55 gal drum in my truck. wmo is even thicker, on the flip side it makes a nice pump to fill my truck with when it is left in the garage hooked up to my filtering station. it is lower than the tank so it does not need primed every time i use it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been through so many design ideas and can't seem to settle on one. What I am really after is a filtration setup that I can mount IN my truck tool box and dump it into a holding tank that can be emptied at home into storage containers. I am trying to design a system that would allow me to collect the oil, then filter it onboard on my drive home. Then I can pump clean wmo into storage.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive used a harbor freight 12v marine water pump its a 50$ unit they have a cheaper one i could show you the link if interested it works great for me not as fast as a super sucker but i use this pump to collect oil and filter it

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Dayton hand pumps come in several different models, and unmixed coolant is about as thick as clean motor oil. That said, Jred you are probably right moving cold WMO would be a *****. If you had to go hand-operated, that would probably be the best though.

The super sucker really sounds like the best overall method. What about using your on-board air compressor to power one of these http://www.tooltopia.com/atd-tools-3410.aspx so that you can pull a vacuum?

Sandpiper also makes some badass air operated pumps but I think they are way too expensive.