Need brain(storming)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also mention it's best to check these things with weight on the truck, and having a friend,wife, cheap worker,village idiot,village genius dog, a team of birds that are tied together flying back and forth,your great aunt Sally,my great aunt Sally, that weird neighbor kid that only comes out of the house when his high pitched mother yells at him to mow the grass, that machine the mythbusters use to remotely drive cars, or any able bodied being, shake the steering wheel for you

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Heh my husband would probably not object to another wife.

Nothing left seemed to have play with the stand still steering wheel test.

I have one radius bushing side finished, other side apart. Tonight all do last ibeam bushing uhgg

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently took the wheels and brand new tires off another truck I sold and issue present before and after.

But hoping to get put back together and begin to call all of the shops mentioned in this thread to get it aligned this weekend

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok everything in except cannot line up ibeam on left (for right wheel) with bolt hole. Angle crazy on that radius arm due to everything being apart when I took photo.

Taking a break on that truck for tonight to work on other stuff then will try to align bolt hole tomorrow night and hopefully find out if I have conquored this wobble demon.

On a side note does anyone recommend a brand of grease gun? I always buy cheap crap and I am not saving any money as I have to keep replacing them.

Anyone use air powered ones?
You must be registered for see images

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good, I guess I didn't realize you weren't a man, hopefully no offense was taken, as none was meant.

The picture of the arm not lining up there in the middle shows an older bushing, did you replace it after the photos were take? Those can certainty be a main cause of a death wobble. Even ones that look good to the eye may have gone soft enough to allow play side to side in the axles that may not be as obvious sitting still as if you were going down the road and hitting a bump.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak on the grease gun issue,never had one last no how much was spent

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spend about $30-$40 on a pistol grip with a flex line like at tractor supply or something like that mine has lasted 20 years and I use it a lot

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your luck with that gun may lie in the fact that you have had it so long. I have many friends and family that have old old guns that were just a run of the mill grease gun when they were purchased. Alas I believe quality of a similarly priced gun today is far lower

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your analysis however I just purchased one a week ago spent 45 bucks at what we call Rural King and it's about the same quality and has done quite well now for a yearbut you're right most is reproduction and it doesn't last worth beans correction a year ago not a week ago :)

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha well good to know there are a few left out there, we just gonna find them

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have one from a old army jeep. So like 40's? Lol works well.
Also have one I got from my grandfather's when he passed. No idea of brand. Works great also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With new tires, and all the new parts you have just installed, get the front end aligned ASAP.

Sounds like the track bar bushings and rubbers have NOT been done yet... check those before alignment. If the track bar bushings allow movement fore and aft, or laterally, like when you hit a bump, the caster/camber of the front axle for that side will be pushed out of spec. That will cause that side to fight the other side, set up an oscillation where one wheel is trying to find it's track, which will pull the other tire out of track.. thus, death wobble.

At this moment, you don't know how close, or far, in spec you are [or out of spec].... time to find the right front end shop that knows Ford geometry and how to adjust it.

Word of caution. Few young guy front end mechanics have worked on the OBS Ford front ends these days.. ask up front. If they have no experience... shop further.

I don't recall knowing.. does your truck have twin I beam front end, 2WD, with coil spring? Or, is it solid axle 4WD, with leaf spring? Worn spring bushings can cause axle movement that will generate death wobble also.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With new tires, and all the new parts you have just installed, get the front end aligned ASAP.

Sounds like the track bar bushings and rubbers have NOT been done yet... check those before alignment. If the track bar bushings allow movement fore and aft, or laterally, like when you hit a bump, the caster/camber of the front axle for that side will be pushed out of spec. That will cause that side to fight the other side, set up an oscillation where one wheel is trying to find it's track, which will pull the other tire out of track.. thus, death wobble.

At this moment, you don't know how close, or far, in spec you are [or out of spec].... time to find the right front end shop that knows Ford geometry and how to adjust it.

Word of caution. Few young guy front end mechanics have worked on the OBS Ford front ends these days.. ask up front. If they have no experience... shop further.

I don't recall knowing.. does your truck have twin I beam front end, 2WD, with coil spring? Or, is it solid axle 4WD, with leaf spring? Worn spring bushings can cause axle movement that will generate death wobble also.
Just finished the I-beam bushings and radius arm bushings. Truck is 2 wheel drive.

It has been a pain in the butt getting this pig aligned! I took it to Ford dealer last time (they were only ones who could fit it) and it was so sloppy I got refund.

I got some names of shops I'll call around to. I agree I don't want a lube tech on it. And I am willing to pay for shims.

Now that it is "finished" I will be on the hunt for an alignment. Actually first I need to regrease my new parts first haha.

Getting that last I-beam lined up was harder than getting the radius bushings apart! I love my air compressor. I don't know how I could have done this without it.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were in AZ I could steer you to a Ford front end tech in a heart beat... Good luck on your quest.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would recommend the adjustable caster/camber adjusters. looking at all those old bushings that frontend was really toast and in need of repair...