Need brain(storming)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93 crew cab long bed fwd

"Death wobble" after bumps. It used to be every big bump over 40mph but afrer replacing below listed items it now only happens when hitting two or more close together bumps (I live in Jersey so this is every 10 feet haha).

Front end now has new box, tie rods, upper and lower huevos, shocks, repacked wheel bearings.

Almost all had some excessive play.

Without a lift (car lift not lift kit) I've tried everything I can think of to find a loose component but I'm clearly missing something!

This is part of reason I backed out of rally. I thought I had it fixed for last rally as I had zero incidents. But it happened again this week! Everything new still tight.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the track bar bushings of it is a D60. Mine would shake terrible and I thought it was leaf spring bushings but my upper track bar bushings was completely gone

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check SAI angles is a big factor fie tire wear but also death wobble. To find something lose have some move the steering back and fourth and you should see it the body will move. If it's lose that more that likely your problem. Also when they are turning the steering wheel check the rag joint. Had a co worker working on am f150 was doing the same thing that truck ate his lunch for two days. 20 dollar rag joint and he put all new tie rod ball joints and wheel bearing he couldn't figure it out. I walk over looked at it told him to turn the wheel the joint was almost gone it was holding on but two bolts which was rolling the joint around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
How old are your tires.mine once they get worn good starts to do that and my buddy's does it when they get real worn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you feel the wobble? Steering wheel? Shift lever? Whole truck? My worn u joints made the truck shake. Smooth as butter after changing them. Looked like the previous owner put one in without any needle bearings.

eacars

Reaction score
I had the same thing happening on my '94 4wd cc 1 ton w/ 35's and stuck a cheap stabilizer on it and solved the problem. I did however replace the 2 tie-rod ends and steering link ? Not sure of the proper name. I'm not sure what I replaced first. I remember as the tires got older, it started to happen, sometimes wo the presence of a pothole. I would guess even a front tire of that size (that I have) out of balance, could initiate the dreaded "wobble"... Probably, a combination of things.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the track bar bushings of it is a D60. Mine would shake terrible and I thought it was leaf spring bushings but my upper track bar bushings was completely gone

I should say the I-beam bushings look original as I have a RWD.

Last edited:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are your tires.mine once they get worn good starts to do that and my buddy's does it when they get real worn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were bald an unevenly worn so I swapped the brand new wheels and tires onto it from another truck and still wobbe

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Track bar bushings would be 1st on my list.

The Cure would be a close second...search here or it

How are ball joints? Has it been aligned?

How are spring and shackle bushings?

What size type of tyres?

Rims true?

That is about it...i can think of

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you feel the wobble? Steering wheel? Shift lever? Whole truck? My worn u joints made the truck shake. Smooth as butter after changing them. Looked like the previous owner put one in without any needle bearings.

After bump hits the entire truck shakes so bad. I need to pull over and stop. Then it is fine.

So scary

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happening on my '94 4wd cc 1 ton w/ 35's and stuck a cheap stabilizer on it and solved the problem. I did however replace the 2 tie-rod ends and steering link ? Not sure of the proper name. I'm not sure what I replaced first. I remember as the tires got older, it started to happen, sometimes wo the presence of a pothole. I would guess even a front tire of that size (that I have) out of balance, could initiate the dreaded "wobble"... Probably, a combination of things.

I saw a lot of this suggested when I did a search for this issue. This "death wobble" seemed common on the 05ish ford trucks and a lot of people had luck with a steering stabilizer. I think either way I may add one