Need brain(storming)

eacars

Reaction score
Yeah only one who could fit the truck was the dealer. I may see if anyone local to my new house can fit it and get a second opinion

When I replaced tie rods etc., I used a carpenters folding rule and carefully measured the inside "rim to rim" on the front of the wheels and rear of the wheels. And made the front measurement an 1/8" less for a slight toe-in. It worked pretty good. The ruler has a slide function on the first fold that can do precise inside measurements. You could cut a straight stick of wood and when done it should fit tight at the front inside and be 1/8" short at the rear inside.... "*** did he just say?"....I'm on a low budget. I bought my IDI new in 94 and its still my DD.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
Steering stabilizer---opinion.

I think a steering stabilizer is a great idea, if the front end is in good shape. It reduces the feedback from rough roads, bumps, potholes, and such. That makes for a more pleasant driving experience. However, a steering stabilizer put on a front end which has a death wobble is purely a band-aid fix. You're covering over the symptom, but not addressing the problem. It may make it a bit more pleasant to drive, but the underlying problem is still there.

Once you have corrected the death wobble I would suggest a good steering stabilizer, but not until you have found and corrected the root of the problem.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah only one who could fit the truck was the dealer. I may see if anyone local to my new house can fit it and get a second opinion

I just ordered a track bar because I've been having a slight bump steer issue. I can move mine when under the truck so I suspect it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danielle-
K.I.S.S.
do the simple **** first.
replace shocks if they are old.
rotate or replace tires.
test drive.
deathwobble over 40 mph is generally related to bad tires and worn shocks.
F450's were notorious for this problem. this was the first thing I do every time.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have new tires, Monroe shocks, new red head gear box, alignment I personally checked (on lift and lowering on ground prying and turning wheel) everything for play and had the truck shop do it when they did the alignment. I'm still getting feathering inside of ko2 tires, I dropped pressure from 80 to 65 at their suggestion and it helped some but it's still wearing inside and I'm still getting a slight bump steer. I found some play in my track bar, I just put the new Moog one in so I'll let you know what it drives like tomorrow I didn't bother test driving it. The bushing on one of mine had an 1/8 side to side play moving it with my fingers and I could angle it about 30 degrees inside of the bushing. I took a video before I removed the old one

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering stabilizer---opinion.

I think a steering stabilizer is a great idea, if the front end is in good shape. It reduces the feedback from rough roads, bumps, potholes, and such. That makes for a more pleasant driving experience. However, a steering stabilizer put on a front end which has a death wobble is purely a band-aid fix. You're covering over the symptom, but not addressing the problem. It may make it a bit more pleasant to drive, but the underlying problem is still there.

Once you have corrected the death wobble I would suggest a good steering stabilizer, but not until you have found and corrected the root of the problem.
I agree. If I put a stabilizer on now, this wobble would freaking grenade it haha.

I am positive it would not help my jssue. But I do want one for after this wobble is out of my life!

Also looking at airbags for the truck camper

Also... [emoji28]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danielle-
K.I.S.S.
do the simple **** first.
replace shocks if they are old.
rotate or replace tires.
test drive.
deathwobble over 40 mph is generally related to bad tires and worn shocks.
F450's were notorious for this problem. this was the first thing I do every time.
Shocks and tires are new. They were both in very bad shape. But issue existed before and now after.

Tie rods were also loose and the ball joints were almost falling out.

Then I noticed box was starting to leak so did that and pitman arm etc

I put on a front tow hitch (long story haha) so replaced the sway bar bushings since had them out.

If anything positive has come of this, it got a much needed front end attention.

Ordered I-beam bar bushings. Pray for me haha

Last edited:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have new tires, Monroe shocks, new red head gear box, alignment I personally checked (on lift and lowering on ground prying and turning wheel) everything for play and had the truck shop do it when they did the alignment. I'm still getting feathering inside of ko2 tires, I dropped pressure from 80 to 65 at their suggestion and it helped some but it's still wearing inside and I'm still getting a slight bump steer. I found some play in my track bar, I just put the new Moog one in so I'll let you know what it drives like tomorrow I didn't bother test driving it. The bushing on one of mine had an 1/8 side to side play moving it with my fingers and I could angle it about 30 degrees inside of the bushing. I took a video before I removed the old one

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Lordy!

gandalf

Reaction score

Also looking at airbags for the truck camper

Also... [emoji28]

I can't remember anything about your truck, so I can't tell you whether airbags would help much. Instead I'll tell you about my two trucks and the camper I have. The camper is an old Lance, 11 feet long. It's a heavy sob. My first truck was an F-250, 4x4, single rear wheel. The weight of the camper made handling pretty squirrley, sometimes downright scary. I put overload springs on it, 2500 pound rating. The handling improved to just a bit squirrley. Still not very good. Without the camper the suspension had absolutely no give. I might as well have bolted the axle to the frame with no springs. My second truck was an F-350, 4x2, CCLB dually. It never got the overload springs. The handling was vastly better, because of the dually.

If memory servesme correctly, they don't make airbags for the rear of a dually, so I'm going to guess you have single rear wheels. I'm not sure whether the airbags will solve your problems, but they will help. Personally, I'd opt for the dually.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember anything about your truck, so I can't tell you whether airbags would help much. Instead I'll tell you about my two trucks and the camper I have. The camper is an old Lance, 11 feet long. It's a heavy sob. My first truck was an F-250, 4x4, single rear wheel. The weight of the camper made handling pretty squirrley, sometimes downright scary. I put overload springs on it, 2500 pound rating. The handling improved to just a bit squirrley. Still not very good. Without the camper the suspension had absolutely no give. I might as well have bolted the axle to the frame with no springs. My second truck was an F-350, 4x2, CCLB dually. It never got the overload springs. The handling was vastly better, because of the dually.

If memory servesme correctly, they don't make airbags for the rear of a dually, so I'm going to guess you have single rear wheels. I'm not sure whether the airbags will solve your problems, but they will help. Personally, I'd opt for the dually.
You mean buy another truck or convert to dually?
Don't get me in the dog house again hahhahah

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have air bags on the rear of my 4wd van and chassis dually

55miles of driving so far today and bump steer is completely gone after replacing my track bar. The small thud when turning into parking spots is gone too and the truck was pull ever so slightly to the right when stopping despite having an entire new brake system, that's gone now too, not sure why, but it went away. I can leave the steering wheel alone for 30 seconds going over a dozen concrete patches on the highway before it'll even cross either line.

gandalf

Reaction score
You mean buy another truck or convert to dually?
Don't get me in the dog house again hahhahah

No, I'm not suggesting either. I wouldn't want you in the doghouse or in the poorhouse. Marriage is tough enough without adding fuel to the fire. In addition, I have learned not to tell a woman what to do. :idiot:

I was merely pointing out the hazards and the options.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score

What dealer did you bring it to? American Tire on RT 516 can do it the did mine. They may check it for free if no adjustment is needed.
The front end shop in Farmingdale as well as Perth Amboy tire can also do it.
I didn't have the death wobble, mine wandered and after ball joint tie rods and red head box I just did spring bushings and it made a huge difference.
Also mine had seized up u joints in the axles thats what started me on the front end, it felt like the lugs were loose when turning corners sometimes.
If you decide to do the spring bushings remove the springs and I will press them out and in for you. Free of charge.

Last edited:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What dealer did you bring it to? American Tire on RT 516 can do it the did mine. They may check it for free if no adjustment is needed.
The front end shop in Farmingdale as well as Perth Amboy tire can also do it.
I didn't have the death wobble, mine wandered and after ball joint tie rods and red head box I just did spring bushings and it made a huge difference.
Also mine had seized up u joints in the axles thats what started me on the front end, it felt like the lugs were loose when turning corners sometimes.
If you decide to do the spring bushings remove the springs and I will press them out and in for you. Free of charge.

I'm out on exit 12 on 78 almost in PA now (I've now lived in 3 different counties in 3 years haha). But I'm willing to drive anywhere to make sure it is safe and done right.

Thanks so much for the shop names! ✨

I should do the spring bushings also! Where in Jersey are you? Now we need a garden state meet up!

Last edited:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not suggesting either. I wouldn't want you in the doghouse or in the poorhouse. Marriage is tough enough without adding fuel to the fire. In addition, I have learned not to tell a woman what to do. :idiot:

I was merely pointing out the hazards and the options.
I was just teasing you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online