Need advice

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well today was a good day, I got my 86 F350 running but there's a few hiccups. It started right up on the third crank when I put two good batteries in it and hit the glow plugs for about 5 seconds before each ten second crank. It was maybe 50 degrees out and the truck had been sitting in the barn since november 07 when I got shipped off to an academy then I went to college and didn't have time for it so I'm getting it going now. I went through all the fluids and topped them off. It was running in my driveway just fine for maybe an hour and most of the smoke cleared except for when I was messing with the throttle. Anyways, I took it for a spin down some back roads behind the farm and when I got into it going up hills and stuff it kinda acted like i was pulling my foot back off the throttle and pushing it back in, it would cut the fuel for a little then go full throttle and kinda fluctuate a little bit then when I got home it would run rough while idling every now and then not all the time. I'm pretty sure I need an injection pump but I'm not 100 percent I know its probably due for one anyways at 250k with original pump and injectors. My question is does anyone know of a good reliable place to get it rebuilt or a new pump for a reasonable price and I was wondering about a good place for injectors, I believe Russ sells some good ones right? I'm also thinking about switching over to a holley red that I have on the shelf and bypassing the original.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
star with the cheap stuff first. fuel filter. could be restricted. ip is possible but that doesnt sound much like an ip prob to me. mine did sorta the same thing but try a new filter first. if not that test fuel pressure from the lift pum to the ip. see where ya get

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Good idear... Didn't think about it being clogged as it got a new one a week before it got parked but it could've clogged up in the time it was running from **** in the old fuel

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I let mine sit for about the same amount of time and ran similar to yours, it was air leaks every where

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I say first change the fuel filter, fill it up with diesel kleen or ATF crank the engine and let it run for a few seconds then shut it off for a few hours and let that stuff set in the pump, then fire it up and drive it like you stole it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd put a new filter on, get fresh fuel in the tanks with a good double dose of Power Service or Howes. Drive it for a bit and see what happens.

But, if you have that many miles on the IP and injectors, they are certainly on borrowed time. I'd get a baby Moose (stock rebuild) from Mel and a new set of BB's from Mel or Russ.

The Holley Red and bypassing the old lift pump is a nice modification as well. It makes servicing the fuel system and dealing with fuel leaks soooo much nicer.

Heath

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Thanks I'll pick up a filter tommorow after work on my way home and try it out. When I drove it to get it's new shoes today(Cooper Discoverer STT's) on the way home I stopped by my ex's and we went for a ride in it and it stalled like three times and then hessitated to start, took maybe 5 or six seconds of cranking with foot to floor on the throttle.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Algae may have grown in the tank(s). It's common when a truck sets for long periods of time. Not so bad when it's being driven often. It grows in the diesel when condensation collects. Treat your fuel with a biocide. It kills the algae but leaves the stuff it kills in your tank. Cut your filter open and look for slime. If your second filter clogs, cut it open and look for black stuff. If so you might think about doing a pre-filter to save the cost of the stockers. Be very careful with the biocide as it is a real killer to fish when it finds it's way into the watershed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I advocate doing a full 10-12 second glow each time, with a 90 second break between attempts. Short glow times more frequently, can result in burned out plugs faster than a proper duty cycle. At 5 seconds, your GP's will be hot enough to ignite imediately, but may cool down to fast to sustain combustion after several strokes. A fully heat soaked glow plug will provide heating power long after the juice is cut off.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the info mel. Well I went to Farm and Fleet after work and picked up two filters, a bottle of Diesel Klean, and a bottle of Howes. When I went to take the filter off it was only maybe hand tight and there was a little fuel on top of it so I unscrewed it and inside the filter was only maybe a 1/4 of the way full of fuel. I filled the new filter halfway with diesel klean and half diesel and screwed it on, started the truck for maybe three seconds and let it sit for a half hour. I went for maybe a half hour test drive to go fill it all the way up and it seems to be running better. I tried cutting it open but got pissed at using a hacksaw because all my tools are at work and as far as i can see it was really dirty but no sludge, also the fuel i dumped out looked really bright yellow. We'll see how it goes, driving it to work tommorow, half hour each way.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
If the return lines are leaking will it make it so the truck doesn't run at all? I seem to have a pretty good leak around one of the caps and last night it totally died on the way home going up a hill and I couldn't get it to start back up. It's the cap at the front passanger side injector, with a line that goes to the fuel filter head, I think it's sucking in air there and going up into the housing.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Return line leaks won't make it die after it's been running for awhile, but they can make it hard to start if your lift pump checkvalve is not working.

If it died going up hill maybe your tank(s) are low:dunno