Need advice! Turbo or new truck?

Mr. Bob

Reaction score
Hey Guys... In need of some advice quickly!!!!!

A diesel machanic friend of mine has been hounding ATS for me on a new turbo kit for my 1987 F350. It looks like they are re-doing their kits and ran into a snag... so there are no IDI kits right now... Its been several months of waiting....

So... I can either wait more months, or look into Banks or Hypermax... or I may go look at this:

"1986 ford F250 extended cab diesel pickup. The truck has 328 000 km’s on it. It runs well and drives fine. The body is straight and has no rust or body damage except for one small dent on the side panel. The truck has no leaks but it does use some oil, it has been a great truck to work with or hall my snowmobile and dirt bikes all around B.C. with.CD player with decent speakers. It’s also good for towing campers as it is equipped with camper tie downs. The truck has an aftermarket turbo with boost and pyrometer gauges. It needs to have a small crack welded in the front "y" pipe, which could be done at any muffler shop. The truck has brand new BFG's (1000.00) and had the front brakes done about 5000 km’s ago"

You must be registered for see images

The truck already has a turbo and is priced well.... Not to mention the wife wants me to upgrade to an extended cab so the dog can sit in the back and not between her and I on road trips...

Not really sure what to do??? I love my truck, but the price is right on this one....

Would swap my D60 front, rims and tires, ZF 5 speed ( as this is an auto ) and all my other good parts over....

here is my truck now:

You must be registered for see images

What do you guys think???

Thanks!
Bob

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Buy the S/C and keep your other one.:D
There's nothing wrong with owning 2 diesels.:love:

Just my $.02

rubberfish

Reaction score
Keep the truck you have. It's cooler
than the one one you're looking at. Do a
coin toss to see who rides in the box on
long trips, and figure out the turbo thing later.

Mr. Bob

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Bronco, 8" lift, SASed, locked front and rear, FULLY modded.... I have my diesel.... and my wife has a small comuter car... we also have the trailer pictured....

If space was not an option then I would keep them all, but sadly I only have room for 1 truck and my bronco :(

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the price is right and you have the time, I'd jump on the SC truck and swap the goodies from yours onto it. Then sell yours and get a chunk of the money back.

I absolutely LOVE having the SC. The extra space is great! After having had the SC I wouldn't buy a standard cab at any price (unless I wanted it for parts).....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you go SC or CC....you'd never want to go back;Sweet it does take couple of football fields to turn them around, but the interior space you gain is priceless. Also, if you have kiddies in the future, the RC will be the first to go when they come around. Withe a SC or a CC, the truck will stay in the family longer.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you up size you might as well go all the way to crew cab so you're never in this dilema again when it comes time for kids.

Been in your shoes with long trips in a regular cab, wife, kid AND a dog, and it ain't fun. Had a supercab F150 when my daughter was younger and it's a PITA to tie them in the car seats in the back. My son in law is now kicking himself for getting a supercab instead of a crew cab with a 4 year old:rotflmao That'll teach him not to listen to me.LOL

You have a nice looking truck and if you are set on throwing on a turbo if you keep it consider a used setup instead of waiting for ATS to make new IDI kits again.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a crewcab and just can't live on trips without it. Sure, I have to plan yesterday just to make a turn in any position but thats what it is. My 79 chevy reg cab is much quicker in turning but then I loose the rear seat and places for "stuff". When we are out on the road the wife figured out htat if she places 2 ice chests in the foot well areas in the back seat and then uses a backpacking air matress she has a lagre bed to lay down in. Plus we have food and drinks for the trip right there. Buy the truck and enjoy the space. As Towcat posts you wont ever go back to a reg cab once you have used a crewcab or extra cab. You just can't live without the space now.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we are out on the road the wife figured out htat if she places 2 ice chests in the foot well areas in the back seat and then uses a backpacking air matress she has a lagre bed to lay down in.

Ohhhhh......Thanks for the mattress tip. That might come in handy for the North Carolina to Michigan to Texas and back to North Carolina trip this summer.;Sweet

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reg cab looks nicer IMHO, but I always wished I had a SC. Get 'em both! Haha

I just did a mean 1100 mile road trip and slept in my reg cab at various rest stops along the way. And to think I was going to install buckets...

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
crew cabs are sweet. but a supercab will get the interior space job done. the one pictured looks sweet. if i'm not mistaken the rear seat folds down flat into a nice shelf.

if i was to go back to an IDI daily driver (you never know) i'd look for a clean CC, mostly because of the rear doors.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I just did a mean 1100 mile road trip and slept in my reg cab at various rest stops along the way. And to think I was going to install buckets...
I lived with a reg cab f450 for ten years. got real good at cramming stuff in the cab and sideboxes. Wife went with me on a couple of road trips(2-3days) and the novelty of "snuggling up" in the cab wore off fast. Would have loved to add a supercab by stretching the frame but when you're 26feet long already, the added length becomes a nightmare.
Best thing that was made for CC's are the 40-20-40 seats. mime almost fully recline and cut out motels on my trips now. Find a truckstop with a shower, setup the laptop on the center console, recline the seat and watch a move until I doze off...wake up in the morning, stagger in for coffee and a shower and I'm good to go;Sweet
one more thing...WIFI at flying J is my frend! :D