Need advice specific to a '94 Ford van or Truck with 2 wheel ABS -spongy brake

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my indie, a qualified shop, after a thorough bleed determined that my abs hydraulic unit was at fault for slow sinking pedal. He replaced unit and it still feels the same to me. I am at a disadvantage as I do not know Ford, been working on MBdiesels for a long time. After a discussion, he did mention that sometimes fluid can pass past seals in MC, I have a new in box MC . . I am looking for a high firm pedal. Can anyone on the forum verify that high firm is normal/possible or is spongy low normal? Does not seem likely . . . Pedal slowly sinks under foot pressure which does not seem right or normal and does not inspire braking confidence . . . Thoughts?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i''m no expert but i'd suspect a bad MC or brake booster.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
Make sure your rear drums are adjusted out. Mine were like that and I checked it all out. That was the last thing I tried, works great now. Look in the last place first and you will always find it right away

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check rear brake adjustment, buy Mine did the same until I replaced the booster

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
sounds like your mechanic is just throwing your money at it until it fixes it. i also think its the rear brakes or booster

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, failed to mention I did this - had drums pulled, adjusters were not frozen but they cleaned and readjusted anyway - I was originally hoping for this scenario

Make sure your rear drums are adjusted out. Mine were like that and I checked it all out. That was the last thing I tried, works great now. Look in the last place first and you will always find it right away

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
So my indie, a qualified shop, after a thorough bleed determined that my abs hydraulic unit was at fault for slow sinking pedal. He replaced unit and it still feels the same to me. I am at a disadvantage as I do not know Ford, been working on MBdiesels for a long time. After a discussion, he did mention that sometimes fluid can pass past seals in MC, I have a new in box MC . . I am looking for a high firm pedal. Can anyone on the forum verify that high firm is normal/possible or is spongy low normal? Does not seem likely . . . Pedal slowly sinks under foot pressure which does not seem right or normal and does not inspire braking confidence . . . Thoughts?

High firm is absolutely possible. my 93 and 94 E350 IDIs have great braking ability. That has kept me out of two accidents so far. I'm really impressed that the system can stop 6-7000lbs so quickly.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thats what I was looking for . . . . at, this point, Im going to keep moving forward and replace the MC as I already have a new one in the box, rear adjusters adjusted, new rear wheel cylinders, brake system bled, new abs hydraulic unit . . its got to be either the MC or the booster -

High firm is absolutely possible. my 93 and 94 E350 IDIs have great braking ability. That has kept me out of two accidents so far. I'm really impressed that the system can stop 6-7000lbs so quickly.