Need a 2" thingamabob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need one of these in 2" 1-3/4 is the biggest I can find anywhere on the web! Errr.....

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about 2" pipe from the local hardware store? Then just drill a hole and tap for the fitting. If this is for a thermo switch for your fans, can you install it by removing a plug in a head or the block that's at a coolant passage?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a straight 2" pipe on radiator hoses might slip off without those flanges on the ends of that piece

That's simple by welding a little bead ring around each end of the pipe then grinding to suit needs.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
How about 2" pipe from the local hardware store? Then just drill a hole and tap for the fitting. If this is for a thermo switch for your fans, can you install it by removing a plug in a head or the block that's at a coolant passage?

that is what i did for another vehicle, trouble is you are going to have to weld a bung on since there isent much to tap and its on a curve. i havent had a problem with hoses blowing off with straight ends......yet:D

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A *********? Been there, done that! Depends on how thick the pipe is though. Luckily the coolant doesn't build much pressure and if it does, somebody has other problems to worry about!

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's alot cheaper that $40+ shipping plus waiting a week for the part to appear.
I just went outside and looked at the 6.9 sitting in the back of a van. I saw a pipe plug in each head towards the rear of the engine, and between the valve cover and ex. manifold. I also saw a pipe plug in the top of the water pump but that location could be too restrictive.
Agnem if in fact you need to install a thermo switch for your fans those would be better locations for the switch. If they are in use, (turbo, tank heating system) then you could tee in.

Man, I always type like crap then catch my mistakes later

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure I'll end up making one, since you guys are no help! LOL

I'll need 2" I.D., but I'll do something nicer than just a piece of hardware store pipe with a bung welded on. I just can't believe nobody makes one already. $45 or whatever is no big deal for me. My time is worth more than that.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to go into the lower hose it looks like it's custom fab time. The upper hose should be 1 3/4 though

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be. According to the NAPA web site. But it's not. I'm guessing the 2" belongs to the short wide rad variety.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went outside and looked at the 6.9 sitting in the back of a van. I saw a pipe plug in each head towards the rear of the engine, and between the valve cover and ex. manifold. I also saw a pipe plug in the top of the water pump but that location could be too restrictive.

The problem with using a port on the engine, is the engine stays hot a long time after you shut it down. I'm also interested in the water temp going to the rad, not what's going on in the engine. If the thermostat isn't open, then running the fans is a waist of energy.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could always yank the rad out and take it to a good rad shop and have them braze a couple of fittings into the tank.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with using a port on the engine, is the engine stays hot a long time after you shut it down. I'm also interested in the water temp going to the rad, not what's going on in the engine. If the thermostat isn't open, then running the fans is a waist of energy.

AHA! So you plan to run your fans by a manual switch. That means you're not using a thermo switch to turn the fans on and off automatically.
I did look around for what you needed without success. That was why I came up with alternative suggestions on how to solve your project. I'm sure you'll sort it out one way or another so I'll shaddap!