N/A Performance build.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a NA build. I was going to originally to a DT360 but have been thinking about 2 other options.

1. I do a build on the 7.3 to include heads being worked, typ4 cam, headers, and a better intake. My injection system is up to par so I dont have to mess with that. Are there any other intake manifolds available for the 7.3? Is there a way to safely raise compression? Or is there a stroker kit for these engines? I do not want to go turbo with the 7.3. Also besides a ZF-5 are there any other manual tranny options available for these things? I don't mind running a divorced t-case either.

2. Are there any NA I6 engines that would fit in the body without to much hassle (the bigger the better to a point). I figure I could find a NA I6 for cheap and do some of the same kind of work to it, and it will spin up faster and farther.

I really like the truck and want to keep it instead of getting a PSD or Cummins. I feel a connection to it ya know.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Performance and N/A are mutually exclusive on the IDI.

Even when they're turbo'd, the IDI isn't the fastest motor on the block.

Just curious, why are you dead set against a turbo? These motors can handle it.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am not against a turbo. I just like the N/A performance concept. I know it will never be "fast". Even the way it is now I am faster than most other traffic and it works great off-road.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The only other intake manifold I know of is produced by RacinNDrummin on FTE, but he designed that with a turbo in mind. I don't know how well it would work N/A. I've never heard of anybody raising the compression on these engines. The comp is already ungodly high. I believe there has been mention of one company that could do a stroker kit(Dsl_dog_catcher might know who), but it hasn't really been tried. It would involve a lot of $$$.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be pushing a turbo on you, but unlike gassers, a turbo is more of a functionality part rather than a performance part. Turbo'ed diesel engines typically run better in more elevations than N/A ones. Fuel mileage usually gets a little better and the engines usually run a little cooler.

The guys above are right about the N/A performance limitations, but these engines will lumber along and pull whatever you ask them to all day long.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont know what more you could do to make a n/a diesel faster besides a turbo.. any intake that sits in the engine bay is a huge waste of money.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't get performance from a N/A diesel. You have to install a turbo.

Go ahead and install a cam, fresh air intake, big exhaust then report back and complain about how much money you wasted after your buddy kicked your ass with a stock turbo'd truck with highway gears LOL

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't get performance from a N/A diesel. You have to install a turbo.

Go ahead and install a cam, fresh air intake, big exhaust then report back and complain about how much money you wasted after your buddy kicked your ass with a stock turbo'd truck with highway gears LOL

yes.. not to mention our poopy gear ratios

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya ain't really going to happen....turbo or supercharger or **** or propane injection...but you have to do some type of forced induction to get any more out of these engines than what's stock...

All the cam will do for you is alter where that stock power comes on and may add a wee bit but I don't think you'll notice it.

JM2CW

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm sure many will disagree with me but ive always said... if you want to go fast, buy a car. trucks are for hauling and pulling. they just weigh too much

Popspuller6.9

Reaction score
if you are looking for a intake manifold try R&D Idi Performance he makes a real nice intake with the turbo in mind. check it out

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never said you cant make them fast. but i would personally rather make a car fast. you can certainly make a car handle better alot easier than you could a truck.

Your right, and I think there is a large divide in the diesel ranks which some people already realize, and some people have just discovered like me. There are play toy trucks, and then there are trucks used for hauling. You will see the play toys on the drag strip, making large hp numbers and low et's. But I doubt they would do very well on the street pulling a trailer all day long in traffic. Nothing wrong with play toy trucks, we can sit back and sometimes use the things they discover by playing around with the engines, but there are limitations. some things will turn a good truck into a terrible truck on the street.