mystery of the dissapearing oil

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
if you noticed in my posts, umm 900miles ago, I installed an ATS non-wastegated turbo.

before this my truck never lost or dripped any oil.
post turbo install, it seems like I'm loosing 1qt every 200miles.
no leaks, I've checked.
must be burning it.

Might be the cdr letting too much oil through or the turbo itself dripping some into the intake.
(this cdr came with the used turbo, so I can swap it with my old cdr and see if thats it)
when I open the air filter peice, I can see a small puddle of oil inside the turbo, but I hear this is normal.

anywhere else I should look? thoughts? comments?

while I'm asking, after adding the turbo and larger exhaust, my truck lost alot of it's diesel sound. Sounds more like a 460 gasser or like my 300/6 when I lost my muffler. Sounds normal at idle, tho I little airier (go figure). Anyone have a sound clip of a turbo'd IDI accelerating? All the trucks I hear locally don't sound like mine.

thanks in advance.
drew

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a CDR would be a really good idea at this point. Also, a peek inside the intake would give you a really good idea where the oil is. Oh yea, the puddle you are talking about is not normal.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The cdr will let go steam not oil. It does carry very little but when you see as much as a puddle it is not good. Don't know how is it on that area but I will go for an rdt much cleaner (inside intake). Since it was used it could very well be it or wath about the drain pipe?

my $2c.

cummins5.9

Reaction score
do any of you know how to turn the injector pump on a 7.3 non turbo

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i'm a contractor/landscaper, an RDT is not an option... killing grass in a customers yard is not good form.

still, enough mist will loose some over time.
I'll change out the cdr, and take a few pics tommorow when it's light out.

dp

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
The cdr will let go steam not oil. It does carry very little but when you see as much as a puddle it is not good. Don't know how is it on that area but I will go for an rdt much cleaner (inside intake). Since it was used it could very well be it or wath about the drain pipe?

my $2c.
then please explain how all that oil gets up into the intake.........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've learned over the years and I think the goat has cut one apart and found out the brutal truth....wear and tear plus cleaning solvents are really ******* the rubber diaphram. About every 25k, i just put down the $50 and get a new one and call it good...... :eek:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah, thats why it was my best guess.
the turbo was sitting for a few years, and oddly enough it came with a cdr on it. i'm fairly lazy, so when I took mine off, i just used the one already attached.

Ezekial, vapor is liquid, when enough collects. Drain pipes fine, when I got the turbo I ordered an oring kit and re-did all the seals.

course this still doesn't answer my question about the exhaust sound.
wish i knew some folks with old 7.3's around here. Last ford 6.9/7.3 i rode in, I was 10 years old :)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
towcat said:
then please explain how all that oil gets up into the intake.........

Wath i said is wath a read some time ago on a post don't remember if it was pete or Mel or both. Anyway, the cdr opens and lets steam go trought to keep the press on the cranck case similar to outside when that steam goes inside the intake comes with small particles of oil. That is wath the manual saids, I do not figure yet wy so much oil gets inside the intake sometimes but if you think about it, when you look at an rdt it allways have some coat of oil on it, mine drips one drop when I park it. Imagine this also happens while you drive, there you go, the oil accumulates. Now compare it with a cdr not working properly it could let the steam go on all then time and oil with it.

That is just an idea.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And while it seems extremely unlikely, it is another spot for oil to get in and cause a runaway. Not sure what conditions would have to be met to make that happen though. Less worries with the RDT.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm sure you provably know this already Mel, since you mentioned worries wath states would stop one of our trucks bc of our rdt's?

thank you.

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDR

Agnem said:
And while it seems extremely unlikely, it is another spot for oil to get in and cause a runaway. Not sure what conditions would have to be met to make that happen though. Less worries with the RDT.

My observation of The CDR valve is ,its open at Idle and It depends on the restriction of the air filter to create vacuam to close when reved up ,in the case of the Natural engine!In the case of the turboed unit I'm not sure how it operates!
In the case of a natural engine be sure the little vent hole on the back is clear and you can't suck or blow thru it .if you can the diphram is toast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online