Mystery hose

llsvegas

Reaction score
Ok found it about 10p last night and its in the low 30s right now so I can not get a pic of it. But if you are standing looking towards the back side of the vacuum pump and just to the right or it coming off a nipple and is a short hose. SO that would be about 2 o'clock position in reference if you are looking at round top of vacuum pump, This is in a Van so I can not just climb in the engine compartment and see where it goes. Hose is no more than 4-6" Any ideas?

1992 7.3 idi E350

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So this is a van. By chance is the filter on the passenger side or the drivers side of the engine. If its on the passenger side that hose might be the filter drain. This would also mean you might have a van that needed an engine so the truck engine was installed. To have done that usually the oil cooler headers needs to be changed and the drivers side exhaust needs changing too.

llsvegas

Reaction score
From what i saw last night with a flash light it comes off a nipple on the intake. The filter is on the drivers side. Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These engines do not have any vacuum hoses going to the intake manifold unless you have a turbo. Then its a small 1/8 inch line telling you the boost pressure you are making.

llsvegas

Reaction score
Ok braved the cold. So it attaches to a metal hose/nipple that comes up from under somewhere that is behind the AC compressor. Sorry for the bad photo but its cold and that is the best my phone would do but I did get an arrow on the pic to show the hose that goes no where.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the van have a second heater core for the rear compartment? If so, I wonder if that hose could be feeding it, or could it have been originally for that but was bypassed if the rear HVAC system was removed?

THe pic doesn't make it fully clear...what's the inside diameter of the hose? If it's 5/8", it's a pretty good bet that it's a coolnt hose of some sort...

llsvegas

Reaction score
This is a type 2 ambulance that was put in service as local agencies Crime Scene Investigation vehicle. So there is a rear heat/ac but its not what you typically think of.

The hose is small like a vacuum hose and what you see is about all of it. Theres about an inch on each side one connecting to the metal tube very small in diameter like brake line and the other end just flopping in the wind.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize it was that small...that rules out a coolant hose.

I used to own an E-350, but it was a 1984 model year and very bare-bones; didn't even have air conditioning...there was nothing like that on that side. I know this is easier said than done in a van chassis, but unless you can find out for certain what exactly it's connected to, I'm not sure anyone's going to know...especially since there aren't very many people on here who have had any experience with IDI's in the '92+ vans (that setup wasn't exactly common). And, of course, given the extra equipment that an ambulance van would have, that's a whole new can of worms...

Actually, one thought...does the van have cruise control? If so, does it have a cannister anywhere in the engine compartment that looks like a coffee can? I wonder if the hose could be meant to go to that? I know that later OBS IDI's used electronic cruise control systems, but I recall hearing that '92 trucks still used the vacuum system. I don't know if that applies to vans or not, though, so could be barking up another wrong tree...

llsvegas

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. ITs too cold to try to work on it right now. I will look for it on my next day off or nice morning which ever comes first to try to get more info. Thanks

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I would say it's a fuel filter water drain as well. The only thing that I can think of that would be behind the AC compressor and be small like a brake line would be that drain line.

I think i found some pictures of it maybe, does this look like your line? In your first post you were saying vacuum pump, then you said AC compressor later. Also, why do you need to know what this hose is?

Last edited:

llsvegas

Reaction score
I would say it's a fuel filter water drain as well. The only thing that I can think of that would be behind the AC compressor and be small like a brake line would be that drain line.

I think i found some pictures of it maybe, does this look like your line? In your first post you were saying vacuum pump, then you said AC compressor later. Also, why do you need to know what this hose is?

Thank you sir you are correct. I only got a glimpse of it last night and knew it was between the pump and the compressor. I need to know what it is so that I can put it back where it belongs. And I thank you for your help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No. That filter on the drivers side is where its supposed to be in a van but sometimes we find them in either places. The trucks can fit them on either side without issues. Thats generally how we can tell if the engine in a truck came from a van or big rig like an S1600 truck.