mystery fuse and electrical gremlins 86

youngunbd

Reaction score
New to me 6.9 excites me everyday, today was the drier/accumulator stuck like sin.

Well on to the current problem, while testing fuses to see why my dash lights and guages have no power, a mystery fuse fell out of the fuse block, it looks like an old style fuse. For the life of me I can not find where it goes, I think it dropped from the right of the flasher but idk. It is a 25 amp if that helps, let me add a picture.

Second issue, horn makes a tiny pitiful sound, and cruise control doesn't work, could the relay be schwacked?

Thanks OB'ers!

I think the fuse goes somewhere between the two 30 amp ones, but there is nothing for it to hold on to, and no wires on the back

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• IMG_20130602_161533.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 52
Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm going on memory here, and that's getting to be more dangerous every day. I think that the '86 has the horn and the cruise control on the same relay. It's located up under the dash, toward the center from the driver's side. This being the case, I'd check the relay, then backtrack power from the relay to wherever it comes from.

The fuse I really don't know, but somebody will come along with current experience on the '86.

Hope this helps.

youngunbd

Reaction score
Well that fuse is either part of the flasher system or my flashers went out cause guess what doesn't work... lol

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate electrical. im tying to rewire my 89. with the service bed there are a bunch of extra lights and one night driving home of course with my luck in the snow my headlight switch fried. i still havent found all the problems and i dont want to smoke a new switch so i have been wire nutting the wires together. i installed a relay kit for both front and rear lights but something is still so bad that my radio only works with the lights on. i have been using the truck and havent had time to pull the dash to really figure it out. so with all that said this old wiring can be very tricky so good luck

youngunbd

Reaction score
I got the horn working, now to diagnose the cruise control

I discovered some creative wiring by the PO so I had to make a bit more of it myself. I also just picked up the pieces to do the headlight relay mod, I might also do the halogen conversion on top of that.

After I do my rear brakes today it'll be time to take the dash apart and find my pinched wire so I stop blowing 5 amp fuses for the dash lights lol

I bought this darn truck knowing it would be a project and she is living up to it! I just wish it wasn't forecasted to be 104 and 107 here this weekend :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online