my torque converter is about gone........

bears4x4

jack of all trades
Reaction score
my TC lasted 45k or two years, iv been told that they possibley use the same tc as a gasser being the trans are sometimes the same and its a cheaper route bandade fix, What are your recomendations for where to get another torque converter, one for diesels and can handel HD work?
Should i get a programmer now as well to adjust the shift points also being with a lifted truck, my speedo is off but i have an idea buy how much.
What about a deeper trans pan , more fuild better for cooling, i dont want it to overheat later , its gotta last another 200k ( i can hope for right)

Last edited:

Iroc12valve

Reaction score
first off think about how heavy that transmission is, Now how many times do you really want to lift it? you might get a converter to work from a gasser but you'd need a new input shaft from my understanding and on top of that it would only last until the next time you pull a trailer or try and merge into a small opening in traffic(heavy throttle) and then you need to re do it again putting you where you are now but about $1300 lighter.
your best bet is a new converter a single disk hi performance would more than do the job unless you plan on filling out that lift with some big tires, while your at it yes get a new trans pan(Mag-Hytec is best 4x over) use conventional fluid first time change after 3k and then go to synthetic permanently. you will be golden

and btw by "big tires" i mean 38.5 or bigger

bears4x4

jack of all trades
Reaction score
well a up date, i purchased a ats performance diesel converter,( turns out theres also something esle wrong so were doing a a full tear down, i got a max energy programmer for tire size speedo correction, B&M 3.5+ trans pan - only 175.00 , trans temp gauge. and a adtional cooler to put on.

is your iroc carborated or did you keep it a fuellie i have a 92 rs, im dropping a modded 350 in a few months

Iroc12valve

Reaction score
as far as the camaro; the iroc in my signature is carborated, 750 holley ontop of a full roller 11:1 compression stroker, built as a street strip gone overboard(ran 10.9 quarter)

but fuelie is a very good setup my 89 rs was 305 tune-port/700r4, it was more than fast and great mileage. it was the best a car could ever do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online