Torque converters

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 1994 super duty, 7.3 N/A with an E4OD. Local guy is selling a bunch of torque converters that he found in storage, DACCO brand, all NIB for reallllllly cheap. One of them is part# F59HS which says it is for an E4OD but I wanted to check and see if our trucks had a different TC in them than other vehicles since the E4OD was put in alot of different cars and trucks. He also has an HD3686HS which seems to go in a 5.4L expedition but im not sure if that would fit our E4OD or if that would go with a 4R100.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Cross referencing the numbers off rockauto shows the TC sizes and spline counts to be identical for the F59HS. Rockauto lists part# F59DO (close but not exact) and lists "Low Stall". other sites list the F59HS as having 2000RPM stall.

HD3686HS is listed as a "High Stall" TC but seems otherwise identical to the F59HS. I guess thats what the "HS" implies in the part#s, but then, what does the "DO" suggest for the super duty variant?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Diesel Only?

I think the F59HS is for our E4ODs except that it is the high stall version for the big gas motors, whereas the ones specc'd for the 7.3 is a low stall, although from what I have also read is that the Ideal stall for our TCs is around 1800 and the ones im looking at are 2000, so maybe thats good nuff?

Would a higher stall be better for a turbo charged IDI? I have a sidewinder that will be going in at some point so maybe I should pick one of these TCs up.

CharlesG

Reaction score
John Wood installed a low stall convertor in my 4R100 when he rebuilt it. The lower stall speed helps take advantage of the lower RPM torque of a diesel.

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
My local trans guy doesn't like Dacco torque converters if I remember right. Seem to recall him saying dacco boom. I had the one go out in my 98 ranger and I seem to think it was a Dacco and he said I was lucky it lasted as long as it did.

ISPKI

Reaction score
My local trans guy doesn't like Dacco torque converters if I remember right. Seem to recall him saying dacco boom. I had the one go out in my 98 ranger and I seem to think it was a Dacco and he said I was lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Thats interesting because they are made in Iowa. I would expect them to be of good quality.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The converter on my buddy’s 24 valve was a dacco. It slipped real bad. When we took everything in to get it built the guy at the shop just started laughing.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Yeah ive been reading some reviews, seems that they used to be of good quality but are now (as in within the last 5-10 yrs) hit or miss. Some last forever, others fail within 100 miles. Well this is a NOS that I got for 20$. Guess i'll keep it on the shelf as a just in case part.

DuRolf

1989 Ford E 350
Reaction score
I would vote for a low speed stall converter. AAMCO replaced my C6 in 2012 with a 2100 RPM stall speed TC, and my vehicle struggled for years going up grades. I finally figured out to put in a 1500 RPM TC from Hughes, and it was night and day. Grades that used to be a challenge, with engine and trans temps hovering at too high and EGTs pegged at 1100F, now were easy. My vehicle just chugged up them without a care, all gauges well within safe ranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online