My speed vs mpg experiement

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I track my mileage every tanks via my phone I decided to do an experiment. I had read a number of posts by people with similar vehicles that stated the best way to increase mileage is to slow down. I did this and here are the numbers I found....

Vehicle: 1988 E250 7.3 IDI NA, 3.54 gears, c6+Doug Nash O/D

Procedure: I tracked my mileage for 4 tanks during my normal weekly commute. My commute is 60% highway and 40% city. Terrain is slow rolling hills. For each tank I set my cruise when I was on the highway for a different speed. I started at 75-80mph and dropped each tank in 5mph increments. I filled up at the same gas station on the same pump for each tank. For consistency I also put the DN in over drive and just left it. This made it pretty doggy around town since it gave me the equivalent of having 2.83 gears.

Tank #1, 75-80mph: I drove 387 miles using 27.851 gallons of fuel. Netting 13.90mpg

Tank #2, 70mph: I drove 425 miles using 27.784 gallons of fuel. Netting 15.30mpg

Tank #3, 65mph: I drove 452 miles using 28.733 gallons of fuel. Netting 15.73mpg. This tank could be slightly skewed. I was having charging issues so I let it idle during stops instead of risking it not starting due to a low battery. Idle time was about 1 hr total. Some brief searching said I would use about .5 gallons an hour at idle. Removing this would give a mileage number of 16.01mpg. It was also raining consistently throughout this week.

Tank #4, 60mph: I drove 464 miles using 26.898 gallons of fuel. Netting 17.25mpg. I did accidentally set the cruise to 65mph for one 25 mile highway trip, but this would only effect the results by about .05mpg.

Conclusion: While there are a ton of variables and one tank sampling per speed does not provide the most accurate results, it does seem to show that reducing your speed does seem to have a fairly large positive affect on mileage. Mileage showed a 24% increase between tank #1 and tank #4.

Other thoughts: I would be curious to see if dropping to 55mph would continue the trend, unfortunately I couldn't bring myself to slow down that much. Our speed limit in the area is 70mph with most people going 75-80mph. Going that much slower than the traffic flow would drive me crazy. I also wonder if having the OD engaged during city driving had a negative affect on my numbers. It definitely took more throttle input to get up to speed and my EGT seemed to be higher doing it vs with the OD off. Once cruising my EGT were significantly lower with the OD on. I also did not check my tire pressures, but since I just had them rotated and balanced I would assume they set them to the recommended stock pressure. Increasing them to 80psi may reduce rolling resistance and net a small gain.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice numbers. I cant really go much slower than 65 or else I go crazy. What rpms were you turning at 75,70 and 65 respectively?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice numbers. I cant really go much slower than 65 or else I go crazy. What rpms were you turning at 75,70 and 65 respectively?

I don't have a tac, but from the math I should be around the following....
60mph=1969rpm
65mph=2133rpm
70mph=2297rpm
75mph=2461rpm

Next time I get tires I may upside them a little to drop the rpms some more. Vans came with a lot smaller tires.....mine measure 28-29" in diameter.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. Im curious as to what my MPG will be on 37" tires, ZF5 and 3.73 gears. Should be around 1700 rpm at 60mph i think.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. Im curious as to what my MPG will be on 37" tires, ZF5 and 3.73 gears. Should be around 1700 rpm at 60mph i think.

Let us know how you end up. With 37" tires it really drops your RPM's at speed, I just wonder how bad the added rotational resistance will be. What kind of tread are you running on your 37" tires?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires are cooper discoverer st maxx.

You must be registered for see images attach

im unloaded most of the time on the highway so doing 1700 rpm wont be a problem. if i need mor eoomph ill pop it in 4th while towing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few variables in measuring MPG. Mostly headwinds. But the way you measured it, it's pretty accurate. I travel to my Daughters quite often, using my Scangauge II for MPG, the slightest rise in the road will show a decrease in MPG by .5, a 10 MPH head wind will show a decrease of .75 MPG. Your Van is almost like pushing a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Here are some formules.

http://www.asawicki.info/Mirror/Car Physics for Games/Car Physics for Games.html

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~ecen2060/materials/lecture_notes/2060_HEV_1.pdf

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wind resistance is an exponential function. Thats why the Veyron only takes around 300hp to go 150mph, but to do 250mph it takes 1000hp.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep pretty religious track of my fuel economy...and, while I gnerally sit around 16 to 17 mpg with my truck (ZF, 4.10's, stock tires), I've done a couple of freeway runs with the cruise control set at 55 mph that netted me 20 mpg ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember when the national speed limit was reduced to 55 to save fuel? And they found out a by product was less fatal accidents? Most of our trucks were built during the 55mph limit weren't they? That may have affected the gears they came with stock.

I am not sure what determines now how fast a person goes nowadays. I go 5 mph over the speed limit and people still pass me like I am sitting still. A few times I have tried to catch up to them and found they are doing at least 85. That's too fast for me, requires too much concentration on a long drive. Not to mention the vehicle sounds like it's going to blow up.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wind resistance is an exponential function. Thats why the Veyron only takes around 300hp to go 150mph, but to do 250mph it takes 1000hp.

What he said;Sweet

Double your cruise speed and it takes more than double the horsepower. This means more fuel to cover the same distance if all other factors are the same.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re posted from my facebook page concerning my trip from SFBA to San Diego and back....

Sooo..... what the cost for going fast? Here's how it worked out this weekend....
Southbound- combined gross of 13k/lbs, running a max of 60 mph and sometimes 65 mph, I was able to range 263 miles before flopping to the back tank. no surging or cut-out. Just did it.
Northbound- tare at 9k/lbs with no trailer speed restrictions, I was able to push my speed to 85mph + for the majority of the trip. even going over the grapevine and Pacheco. Found a fast crowd moving through and hooked up and stayed with them. Made an ******* of a Lexus drive really nervous by presenting a good view of my left dual and doghouse on the downhill side of Pacheco and then checking him into the center divider on the last 55mph curve. No contact=no foul. If he can't drive and hold his line it's his own damn fault. felt it the truck surge at the base of the hill, flopped over to the back tank at 206 miles. Moral if the story...if you behave yourself, you range and extra 60 miles.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 turbo ext cab, 4x4 dually stock tires ol black betty averages 13.3 at 2k rpm with no load. I put on the 12 foot overhead camper and it drops her to about 11 mpg. I have 4.10 gears and e4od . Dont know how some of you get such good numbers , I am old and tight as the bark on a tree so I will drive whatever speed gets the best mileage

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I always say Im going to calculate my mpg, but I never do. I just figure its gonna be,whats it gonna be. I bought the truck to haul loads, so I need the load hauled regardless of the mpg.

I would like to at least know it, so I can have a base. That way if I ever do any upgrades I can tell if it made my MPG worse or better.

maybe one day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance