My First Oil Report

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well my luck just keep geting better and better ;Really after 2 weeks and 2 wrong oil reports -cuss I finally got the right one ;Really . First they sended me one for a PDS 6.0 Diesel engine, I called them and then they sended me one for a 7.3l cng engine :***: , I called again ;Pissed and they sended Me another one. One thing I noticed is only thing they changed was the first phrase from the comments and four lines on the unit info :confused: .

Anyway you gus tell Me wath do you think about this two reports.

Attachments

• C54933right.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 24
  • C54933wrong.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 6

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
EZ,
I just did my first oil test a few months ago. I submitted it with 4,000 miles and no make-up oil. I think the thing to do is submit it with 5,000 miles (no make up) to get the most information (I'm trying for 9,000 on the same filter).
My $02.,
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
EZ,
Looks good to me. I submitted my first one w/ 5k. The way it read you would have thought my valves were gone! I did 2200 on the next change w/ no sample and after this coming weekend I will change it again (~2400) and send a sample to start a trend.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I change the oil every 3k religiously. After I changed the lift pump for a holley red oil consume slow down a bit but I still have to fill 1qt before the 3k are gone. Now run it for 5k or even 9k I dont know is a lot of miles, do you guys run sintetic oil? besides if I run it that much with make up oil? cookoo

I provably did not understand right please explain further.Thank you, Exekiel.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
EZ,
I just did my first oil test a few months ago. I submitted it with 4,000 miles and no make-up oil. I think the thing to do is submit it with 5,000 miles (no make up) to get the most information (I'm trying for 9,000 on the same filter).
My $02.,
John

i wish mine would make it to 5000 miles with no make up oil!!! -cuss i am planning on sending some out how much does this cost?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
$20 for the oil report and $30 if you use oil additive and you want to know how much you have left by 5k.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, I run the same oil you do, Motorcraft 15w-40. Moose Truck and Lady Moose Blackstone reports are in my album links below. Yours sounds good to me! I'll be sending Blackstone a new one for the Moose Truck soon. Seems's I've "accidentally" put 3000 miles on this oil. That's the most I've ever gone on an oil change. Oh the shame! :cry:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Wath is the point to drive the oil more than 3k and send it to blackstone? I never drive it more than 3k, heck some times I just change it at 2.5k.

I do not know how to read it if you guys tell Me what is more important to know, please.

pafixitman

Reaction score
EZ,
All it is really telling you is what is in the oil. This may be the conditioners etc. that are in "new" oil or it may be contaminents - metal, antifreeze, diesel etc. You want low to no readings on the contaminents, high readings on the conditioners (for lack of a better word) and low readings on the metals. Oil is there to protect the metal surfaces from friction. The higher the metal readings the less your oil is protecting.

Here is a breakdown.

Elements are quantified in the oil at part per million levels (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of the elements in a gasoline or diesel engine oil.

Aluminum : Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron : Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead: Bearings.
Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Molybdenum : Anti-wear additive, coating on some new rings
(washes off as break-in occurs).
Nickel: Trace element in steel.
Manganese : Trace element, additive in gasoline.
Silver: Trace element.
Titanium: Trace element.
Potassium : Antifreeze inhibitor, additive in some oil types.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Silicon : Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, antifreeze inhibitors.
Sodium: Antifreeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Calcium : Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc: Anti-wear additive.
Barium : Detergent/dispersant additive.

Physical properties: Viscosity, flashpoint, % fuel and antifreeze, % water and insolubles are all measured in gasoline and diesel engine oils. If fuel is present in the oil, the viscosity and flashpoint will often be lower than what was stated in the "Should be" line. Insolubles are solid material that is centrifuged out of the oil. They are typically free carbon from the oxidation of the oil itself, along with blow-by past the rings.

>>Click Here<< for some explanations.

I think the goal of some people is to see how long they can leave the oil in with out giving them "bad" readings. In other words, my oil was great at 3k, next time I'll test at 4k, those results are good so I'll jump to 5k, Hmm, these results do not look so hot, OK, I can go 4k using the brand oil and filter I currently do with no bad effects. If you are completely **** and change at 3k come heck or high water, then just randomely test for increased engine wear or the big "C".

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you a LOT Joe that is some explanation. I do change the oil every 3k on all the vehicles no matter wath, now, my report is good then :thumbsup:.

Well will see if the tick noise goes away after the injectors and then I will live the engine alone some time.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
hey, EZ. report looks pretty good to me.
i've sampled & sent 3 or 4 times to Blackstone now ( i guess i'm due again :rolleyes: ). my last report is in my gallery over at TDS (same user name).

i run synthetics only. Amsoil 15w40 to be exact. i also run an old style Amsoil 2 qt bypass setup along with the powederstroke sized full flow filter in the stock location. my RDT may be helping some, also.

here is where you may want to sit down (and plug your ears because Mel is about to go off!):
i change my oil once a year - whether it needs it or not. lately that comes to about 20k miles. i change the 2 filters at the same time.
i currently have 243k miles on *********, & while she's no Moose Truck, you can see by the Blackstone reports that she's holding together. Lead is a bit higher than i'd like, but we'll see if that's tamed down after this next oil & filterchange.

one thing i did notice: your TBN (what you paid the extra $10 for) shows a 6.7 with 2270 miles. with Amsoil (i'm sure the extra filtration helps) my last TBN showed 8.1 with 6005 miles on the oil... kinda says something for synthetics & bypass systems to me :Sly

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you guys, after the comp test and blackstone I feel better about the engine than before. Now I'll ge those injectors out and back on new ones on monday so I get rid (hoppefully) of that tick noise.