My first IDI, need some exhaust input.

Reaction score
I am building my first IDI. It is a 94 with an OE turbo. I am not trying to build a sled puller out of it, just give it that little extra. It still has the factory exhaust from the turbo all the way back. To include, the original muffler. I usually kick the tail pipe out in from of the passenger side rear tire. Most of the store bought kits I have looked at has a lot of material I will not use. I would also like (if possible) to run the downpipe on the passenger side. I do not like how the exhaust runs under the bell housing in stock form. Is there a budget friendly improvement available?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budget friendly way to do what you describe...nope...summit may have the bannks downpipe which helpes plenty...then you can go to a 4" kit if you like...

JM7.3CW

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i now have 200 dollars into my exhaust.(minus the upgrade shown below)
40 bucks a piece for 3" SS mandrel U bends. x 2
20$ for a 3" v band clamp w/ flanges
20$ header flanges to connect the DP to the 4" Electrical conduit.
80$ 10 feet, 4"electrical conduit and a 90* bend (actually 4.5")

BUT, i spent over 200 for a 3" exhaust housing.
which can actually be made at home if you have a TIG welder.

you can do the same for the stock exhaust housing.

making things on your own makes things alot cheaper.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I feel like the electrical conduit is more expensive than normal steel exhaust pipe.
Try some local truck parts shops. Like truck pro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Runningaford

Reaction score
I did the banks down pipe, it's an oddball 2.75", and couldn't find an adapter very cheap to go from that to 4" JEG's aluminized steel pipe; which is what I used. From JEG's, I ordered 1- 4"x5' straight pipe, 1-4" U, and 1-4" 90. I had the downpipe installed, and matched the angle I wanted to cut out of the U bend with a piece of copper wire. I cut the U-bend a little long, and noted that it really wasn't too much bigger than the 2.75"; so I cut relief cuts in what was left of the U-bend, and beat them down around the 2.75" piece, and welded the cuts closed. From there, I welded 4"x5' stick to the U, then welded the 90 on there. From there, the left over bit of the 4" U had a straight enough section to stub the exhaust out the side approx. 18", or so in front of the passenger side rear wheel.

I used the JEGS cheapy exhaust hangers, I think they were like 8 bucks, and I needed 2.

It's a slip fit on the downpipe. I think in total I'm into for around $180. It sounds good, and works.

Edit to add: The biggest hurdle I had was trying to figure out an adapter for the Banks down pipe, but after having material in hand, and comparing diameters, as stated above, I southern engineered it, and it looks good :)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 4" stainless Diamond Eye exhaust kit (muffler delete) designed for a powerstroke and it fit my 87 extended cab with 093 ATS turbo perfectly with the exception of the 3" downpipe. Had to purchase a 3" stainless V-band clamp & flange and weld in place.
You must be registered for see images attach
Also slight mod to downpipe.

Reaction score
I looked into the Banks Downpipe. I am thinking about getting that and using the three inch exhaust I have on a parts truck. How big is too big for this truck?

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in my first full exhaust on my truck. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't get many mandrel bends at all. I only used a few of them because most of the bends were the wrong radius. I figured up all the bends I needed and just made them from straight pipe. I ended up just making the v-band and the transition to 4" using a piece of 1" plate bored out and the flare from a 3"-4" transition. I dimpled the floorboard in about 1.5" to clearance the pipe between bellhousing and the cab.

The v-band

The lobster back. 4" pipe on a 5" center line radius.

Fitted up.

Painted.

I really wish I had replaced that stupid flattened pipe on the 7.3 when I was running it. It would have been fun. When I started this project, I was shocked that there was no cheap hobby-level software for calculating bend segments. I ended up writing some software to calculate the bends and produce the segment templates which can be printed out and traced on the pipe. Then you can cut it with a cut-off wheel, hacksaw, sawz-all, or whatever you have if you don't have chop-saw with an indexable fence. I was going to sell it cheap for DIY'ers like myself. 3.5" pipe templates will fit diagonally on standard 8.5"x11" paper. But I would need to add a nesting component for pipe larger than that.

I think I spent around $250 for everything. That included the Donaldson 40" muffler and hangers which I just made up out of .5" hot roll and the little rubber sections from Summit. I bought everything from Summit except the muffler. It came from Ryder. I bought 16' 4" pipe in 4' sections.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a power stroke down pipe from diamond eye. Of course I am not using a factory turbo.