My first IDI, need some exhaust input.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good I think.
I ended up using the down pipe, an elbow, and a straight piece plus a vband flange correct for my turbo.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's the finished product on the left. Banks pipe on the right.

Connected to the turbo.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put in my first full exhaust on my truck. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't get many mandrel bends at all. I only used a few of them because most of the bends were the wrong radius. I figured up all the bends I needed and just made them from straight pipe. I ended up just making the v-band and the transition to 4" using a piece of 1" plate bored out and the flare from a 3"-4" transition. I dimpled the floorboard in about 1.5" to clearance the pipe between bellhousing and the cab.

The v-band

The lobster back. 4" pipe on a 5" center line radius.

Fitted up.

Painted.

I really wish I had replaced that stupid flattened pipe on the 7.3 when I was running it. It would have been fun. When I started this project, I was shocked that there was no cheap hobby-level software for calculating bend segments. I ended up writing some software to calculate the bends and produce the segment templates which can be printed out and traced on the pipe. Then you can cut it with a cut-off wheel, hacksaw, sawz-all, or whatever you have if you don't have chop-saw with an indexable fence. I was going to sell it cheap for DIY'ers like myself. 3.5" pipe templates will fit diagonally on standard 8.5"x11" paper. But I would need to add a nesting component for pipe larger than that.

I think I spent around $250 for everything. That included the Donaldson 40" muffler and hangers which I just made up out of .5" hot roll and the little rubber sections from Summit. I bought everything from Summit except the muffler. It came from Ryder. I bought 16' 4" pipe in 4' sections.

I like it. Curious what you painted it with? I'm at a crossroads and need to paint or coat all my exhaust stuff. I'll probably wrap the DP at a minimum. Maybe the uppipe too more to keep heat out of the cab than anything else. The uppipe is a heavy casting so I don't worry too much about loosing heat for performance sake.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online