My first attempt at a decent paint job

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well, while I wait for the '89 to get back from the shop for rear brake service, I thought I'd paint the bed a different color....just something about a yellow cab and a blue bed that doesn't sit to well in my stomach :puke: :backoff

So I used my hvlp sprayer for the first time and used that Duplicolor paint-shop stuff at Autozone for $20/qt. I stirred it up and poured it in the gun and had at it. Well, it sure isn't like tv LOL The D.side came out OK, but I guess I didnt stir it up good enough cause when I poured more in to do the pass side, it clogged up and had very bed flow....still not bad, but could've done better.

Overall, I'm happy with my results, especially for being my first attempt at anything more advanced than a rattle can. :rotflmao

They are the last pics in the link in my sig for the '89....cant seem to get an attachment or inserted image cookoo

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
That looks great! I'm so going to painting my truck sometime. Did you have to add anything to the paint? Does autozone have clear coat?

Last edited:

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Its a lacquer system with primer, color, and clear. Its ready to pour straight from the can, into the gun. No reducers/hardeners needed. The pics actually make it look a little better than it is. Now that I know what I'm working with, hopefully priming the rest of the truck/color coats will turn out better.
Here's the link to duplicolors website:
http://duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

Thanks for the compliments

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Yeah, it is, but the sooner I can have a bed on it the better....and like I said, i dont do yellow and blue

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the last pics in the link in my sig for the '89....cant seem to get an attachment or inserted image

In Web Shots, click on the pic you want to post, then scroll down and look on the right side for POST TO A FORUM, Click on it (turns blue) Right Click, then COPY, return to forum, locate cursor where you want pic, right click then paste. Walla there's your pic. It's easier to upload pic's to WebShots then download them to the forum like above.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
OK, thanks oldbull.

Its going to be yellow with a black "boss 302" graphic like on the old mustangs. Except it wont say "Boss 302" :sly
You must be registered for see images

And about the hardener....will it be ok if I sand that first coat, then add hardener to every coat after that?
Thanks

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be ok, I have heard of people just adding hardener to the last couple topcoats. Probably isn't proper but it works for them. When I paint old Farmalls I always add the hardener to every coat, it sure makes the paint hold up much better. Good luck on your painting, all it takes is a little practice and patience and you will be painting great. The hardest part is the prep work.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well I just went to tsc tonight and bought a whole gallon of JD yellow, 2 qts of gloss black and a little can of hardener for $60....You couldn't even touch 3 qts of duplicolor's paint shop for $60!

I figured what the hell, its just a work truck, so why not get a durable tractor enamel? It also saves me some $$$, which is always a good thing, right? :D

I finished priming the cab and front clip after replacing the rusted driver's side fender today and hopefully, start painting the black graphics tomorrow. ;Sweet

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A: Tractor enamel kicks ass, good job!
B: Duplicolor Paint shop lays out so ******, I sanded it off and Kryloned a truck for a client, truck was still shiny to this day. Don't beat your self up to bad, about you less than impressive results (your words)

C: high pressure, higher than what "they" might reccomend, and thin, and a lot of material, and don't slow down, swing, swing, swing....

Get crystal clear, almost 0 orange peel that way, 40+ psi. Yes, I read that you are using an HVLP.

Guy I do most of my work for shared that with me, said he took lessons from one of the head painters in the area, and that was Colin's secret, was 45-50 out of the HVLP, thin, reduced heavily, and fast strokes.

You can get the hardener for the Implement paint, if TSC, (assuming faerm and ranch store, or tractor supply house) doesn't carry it, got to a paint store. My local paint store actually has a better deal on the implemnt paint than the farm and ranch store does.

At my buddy's discount rate because his wife works at the feed and supply store, the paint store comes in at less.

Will post pics of a fender I did, no prep, there is a run under the paint, compressor couldn't keep up with the gun, and it looks pretty damn good.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Well, I have some up-to-date pics in the link in my sig. Man, without the hardener, that stuff takes FOREVER to dry. I only bought enough hardener for the gallon of JD yellow...I had no idea it takes this long to dry. I shot the black on at 11:00-12:00 and its still very tacky.

It looks good though, very shiny, but very orange-peely as well. It's alot thicker than the duplicolor, even when thinned as the can says, so I had to slow down some.

I think it looks awesome the way it is, but then again, I have a soft spot for black and white.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little orangey, but.. if there is enough paint on there, ya can scuff that down with x00 grit sand paper, and polish her to glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online