My crew cab 4x4 diesel zf swap, short bed swap has begun.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I got this as a 1986 F350 longbed crewcab 4x4 460 c6. I sold the bed because it was a 1995 and had the wrong wheelwell for my '86. I also sold the 460 and c6 trans. I traded a 454 engine core for this solid Oklahoma bed from an '86.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I bought an F450 that was rotted bad for the 7.3 and 4x4 ZF. The truck was owned by the Diesel shop that my former Diesel Instructor, Joe, now worked at. Well Joe rebuilt the engine and trans on the clock. This thing runs very nice and has a new clutch and flywheel kit. :thumbsup: I kept the Hydroboost and clutch pedal from the 'duty for the '86. :D

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
^ My first thoughts at that bottom picture... ***?!? A tandem axle flat bed truck!?? Then I realized it was a cab sitting on a flatbed trailer. :rotflmao

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
So all I need to do is swap the engine, trans, cut/weld the frame, install a fuel door in the bed, shorten the driveshaft, etc. cookoo

But hey it will be a lot easier than swapping in that 7.8 like I was going to. I bailed on that idea when I found out the roadranger trans had a 1:1 6th gear. :dunno

Luckily that scrap F450 fell out of the sky and onto my trailer.:sly

The idea is to come up with something like this guys truck, but in a 79,000 mile, clean '86.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ My first thoughts at that bottom picture... ***?!? A tandem axle flat bed truck!?? Then I realized it was a cab sitting on a flatbed trailer. :rotflmao

yeah i did the same thing lol!
my back loved the idea at first glance! oh man that would be a cool mod -if it where legal.easy loading,and could still tow a chipper.;Sweet

why a shortbed Dave?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about doing the short bed swap on mine; my previous truck was a 97 F250 crew cab short bed. I don't really prefer short bed over long bed, I just like the idea of creating a truck that was never available from the factory.
Looking forward to seeing how it looks in the slant nose body style.
Another neat combination would be the setup Yotee used to have; a crew cab put on a ECLB frame, with a bed somewhere in between a short or long bed.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
yeah i did the same thing lol!
my back loved the idea at first glance! oh man that would be a cool mod -if it where legal.easy loading,and could still tow a chipper.;Sweet

why a shortbed Dave?

It would be an easy mod if you made it front wheel drive.

I went with a shortbed for a better turning radius. I already have two other longbed trucks, an extended cab F250 4x4 and a reg cab '77 K30 4x4. I want this crewcab for hauling the boys and wife and pulling a trailer, and maybe a few dirtbikes.

I figured I would add: The Crewcab has 3.55 gears, Dana 60 KP, soon to be hydroboost w/F450 master cylinder.

I plan to leave the core support in place run the 460 radiator. I have heard of other members doing this with good results.

I was also pleasantly suprised to find out this truck, although it is longer, already turns sharper than my F250 ECLB.

I bought this truck as a D60 donor for my '90 F250 but I fell in love. :love:

Goose, it will not be a body off frame resto, but I will clean up the frame and paint it with wheel paint.

I am trying to decide whether to paint it army green with a white allied star or red white and blue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online