My confidence in O'Reilly auto parts has waned considerably

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
So, I have been troubleshooting a charging issue with the black truck since I bought it. The PO thought it had parasitic drain, so he installed a battery cutoff switch. I measured the amp draw through the switch with it turned off and was only reading about .35 amps. Not enough to kill the batteries in a couple days (as the PO said they were.)

Measured the voltage output from the alternator with the engine at high idle, only showing battery voltage of around 12.1 volts. Field wire had 12 volts on it so I figured the regulator was working.

Alternator has that burned varnish smell, so out it comes. Sure enough, I can see burnt windings inside where the field wire connects.

Since I am in a rush to get this truck running, as I have to drive the thing to work, I call the place I figured was most likely to have a reman alternator, O'Reilly's.

In stock, $92 out the door with core returned. Go down pick the thing up and bring it home. Naturally the terminal clocking was off, so I pulled it apart to reclock. The field brush is totally WASTED on this thing, burnt down to a nub, the copper wire between the brush and the holder is GONE, and the spring is totally burnt up. This is before this thing ever sees the inside of the hood on the black truck. Nope. This isn't going to be installed. Back to O'reillys I go. First they try and cop the "no return or exchange since the paint mark is broken off the housing bolts" defense. Nope. Call the manager over. he tells me they have to "send it to the re manufacturer to have it repaired for me" and that I could not exchange it. Nope. After arguing and arguing and threats of discontinued business relationships and such I get my $92 back, and my core, and head over to Winchester Auto Parts. They had one in stock, $91.20. And they swapped the pulley out for me.

Took it home to reclock it, brand new brushes and springs inside this one. New diode pack too. And better customer service. This is what I fear the most out of running older vehicles, eventually it will only become more and more difficult to get quality parts. If I had the time I would have taken it to an electrical reman shop and hard it rebuilt right...

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeeeeeup! I haven't gone to a discount auto for anything electric motorwise for nearly 20 years. I use one local who not only swaps out fresh builds, but if he doesn't have it in stock, he usually turns around in a half day when I tell him how kewl I am.... two more days in actuality after I tell him that.

Common units are normally stocked. We're lucky even in our older units that there's tons of them rolling around out there. They were used in many different vehicles. Plus if you upgrade to single wire, you get a more updated= more available unit.

Starters the same thing. The last starter I bought from discount whatever, failed within a week. My third one in two years. Although all of them under warranty, I took the last one to my current builder. That starter lasted until I sold the truck.

He does all my marine stuff too. His super status was when he rebuilt a 550hp 3208 starter for me. Cat remans were over $700.00!!! He rebuilt it in a day for $250.00.... customer never called back on it either.

Buy branded oil from discounters.... not motors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a big reason I have spares of many things. Plus I use a mom & pop rebuilder that I have built up a terrific business relationship with over the last 35 years.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
you now now why mc parts can afford to sell parts so cheap even after spending millions on advertising etc. They buy rebuilt parts that arent really rebuilt. They just throw enough parts at the cases to make them go and pray that the person sells the car before the part craps out, and for the most part it works out for them because their customer base owns clunkers and are constantly unloading them on each other , so they don't often have to make good on the warranties.

Old Blue

Reaction score
I realize this post is more about the quality (lack of) of parts at the chain stores, but just thought I'd mention it - .35A load when turned off does seem a bit 'high'. That's over 8 amp hours drained from the batteries per day, we've got two in the trucks, and they don't usually list a proper deep cycle rating, but that's probably almost 10% capacity per day on a single 100AH battery, or ~5%/day on the dual 100AH battery setup. With the glow plugs and the heavy starter loads, maybe being down 10-15% on charge is enough to give you some starting headaches later on even with a proper starter?

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize this post is more about the quality (lack of) of parts at the chain stores, but just thought I'd mention it - .35A load when turned off does seem a bit 'high'. That's over 8 amp hours drained from the batteries per day, we've got two in the trucks, and they don't usually list a proper deep cycle rating, but that's probably almost 10% capacity per day on a single 100AH battery, or ~5%/day on the dual 100AH battery setup. With the glow plugs and the heavy starter loads, maybe being down 10-15% on charge is enough to give you some starting headaches later on even with a proper starter?

You got that right! .35A is about ten times too high. Most modern cars run around .030 - .050A parasitic drain, and an IDI should be way lower than that due to the lack of an engine ECM and all of the other electronics that are now standard.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You got that right! .35A is about ten times too high. Most modern cars run around .030 - .050A parasitic drain, and an IDI should be way lower than that due to the lack of an engine ECM and all of the other electronics that are now standard.

Well, the hood lamp was on, guess I should've unhooked it...

DragRag

Reaction score
The autozone starters are getting worse to, I have had two new ones not kick out on the last installs. I told the manager your rebuilds are starting to really suck it, but I doubt that note is going anywhere. I had one of ther alternators actually fly apart! and dent my hood in a couple places from the inside out. They paid for that one, and it cost them dearly.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
This what i also fear, finding a quality rebuilder. Luckily we have one but its still a fairly decent distance (about 20 miles). His turn around is hit n miss, but if he knows ya (luckily he does) he'll push ya to the front. But for me to take a part off, drive up there, wait, pick it up n install could be a week...and fuel, time and money so i generally get "new" electric arts from advance/autozone/napa at least they are "new" not just new part'd to make em work.

And this guy is getting older and i dont think his kid will stick in the biz once he dad gets out so ill be SOL.

TomA

Reaction score
I never did have any confidence in O'Reillys, they used to be the old Kragens around here. The only thing they were any good for was they sold a decent set of points years ago. If you must use a chain go to NAPA. At least they stock a lot of parts and their return policy is excellent. They replaced a starter for me after 2 years with no receipt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger