My buddie in NYC is lookin for a diesel

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
(His words) Hey JD, curious to know some more info on your powerstroke if you wouldn't mind sharing some info with me. Just curious to know how long you've had it, 2 or 4wd, what you use it for, any trouble you've had from it, general impression, what tranny, fuel mileage, etc.

I'm looking at buying a truck soon and I am considering a old generation 7.3 I'd love to get the turboed version with the new body style, 1999 or newer but I don't have the budget for that right now since I am paying for college in two months, lol. I have some experience with the newer 7.3 but not the old gen. Just curious if you have any info for me... Also do you mind if I ask what you have into it $? Thanks -Dan

(Mine) I have the old IDI mine is a 90' F-350 with 95,000 miles E4od (REBUILT) and 4wd it works out great the only trouble I had is glow plugs but I got that fixed. if you want reliability with ease of repairs IDI is the way to go 83-93 if ya want power 94-2001 power stroke is the way to go. You can pick up an early diesel like mine for 1,500- 3,000, the issue I have is the newer 94-2001 is not starting right, and I'd put manual glow plug switch on it. Look up oil burners 7.3 idi glow plug bypass. Or register and introduce yourself. It"s FREE On there Im 7.3 man, Oil burners is the HOLY BIBLE OF IDI"S. the #1 site for IDI info.

(his)Thanks JD! Now just to find one that isn't all rotted out up here. I saw a banks turbo kit on craigslist brand new and the guy is asking 600 bucks for the package... I'm considering picking that up before I even find the truck so that I have it on hand, lol.

I will check out the forum, thanks for the info on it.

Hope to get this truck and make a trip to hatfield mccoy as my graduation present to myself within the next 3 months! lol How far away from the trails are you?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Addition to the thread. The only problem I can see with the IDI turbo is all the high compression and forced induction, it'll almost blow the engine apart.

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rust free New Mexico 250 4x4 XL, 6.9 IDI - I just got it a few weeks ago, bought it in NM and shipped it here - body is triple mint rust free, 99,000 miles and I just put in Conestoga injectors - and its a 4 speed stick - great runner

Needs Tires and I hate the alcoa wheels on it so I am searching for the factory steel rims now - I had it listed for sale on CL but pulled the ad because of all the crazies, but the more I work on it the more I start to love it - truck is in CT about 1 hr from NYC woulkd sell it if I could get close to what I have into it

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
What are ya looking to get for it, and where are ya and I'll tell him, or email me all the info truck and your contact address and I'll tell him

Last edited: