My big dumb truck...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll start at the beginning, 14 years ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

2wd F100, 300/4 speed, got it from my uncle with a blown engine and trans...

Yes, that's headers on the 300.... It was far from stock.

Come 02, I mated these two:

The rolled truck was factory 460/4 speed, and I shortened the ex cab chassis to suit the regular cab.

Drove it as a stock, not too exciting truck for 3 years:

Then it languished in the back yard until 07 when I decided I was taking racing and finally threw the cam intake and headers I had laying around at it....

Installed what body lift pucks I had laying around under the cab and just cut the box... Got the well worn 9.00R16 militaries for pretty much nothing and went and had fun..
Took it to a second race that year too:

Freshened up the engine that winter, and then in the spring:

It's not kingpin, but it's still a 60, tires were 38.5x11's...
Toasted the engine again by the end of that summer, then it sat out of action all last summer with the engine build and suspension re-hash...

Finally got back at it just after Christmas...

Gotta love the air cleaner lid... LOL

This spring, plans really changed...

That's 44's on 5" of suspension and 3" of body...

Last edited:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was far from finished, but I did take it out may long:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Someone had his MSD set to the wrong cylinder count and first trip out, first hole, I just slammed it in first and expected the rev limiter to do it's job... I didn't get so lucky, that's where the blue smoke is coming from... Doing the math from what the tach indicated in 6 cyl mode, it hit about 7000

That wiped out ALL of the rod bearings, and the truck sat pretty much unloved until the weekend before last, just no time to look at it.
Weekend before last I swapped the crank(should have taken pics of the old bearings, literally chunks of bearing missing, all the rods were done) built a new front driveshaft, bolted the bed on it, and got some shocks happening.
Best of all, the new girlfriend is just as into the truck as I am and spent the weekend in the garage with me.

This weekend I took it out and flogged it... Need to remember to give my camera to someone else so I get pictures though... LOL

The truck setup is as follows currently:

86 F250 chassis, current engine is a 97 460 shortblock, 86 heads, sits around 9.5:1 compression, smallest comp extreme 4x4 grind, performer rpm and a 750 Edelbrock on top, nothing overly fancy, but it works.
Somewhere around the 340hp mark(heads aren't ported) and torque, well, engine analyzer puts it at 408 by 2000, 510 @ 4500... 2nd gear low range on hard ground, punch it from 1000 rpm and it will break three tires loose...
Trans is a T19 4 speed, close ratio from a diesel, 4.02:1 first gear. Transfer case setup is a home built 1356/1345 doubler, which makes for a ridiculous and pretty much unusable 7.3:1 low/low. I may swap the rear case for a 205.
Diffs are a 93 D60, and the factory sterling in the rear, welded in the back end of course. 4.10 gears
Suspension is, believe it or not, mostly factory stuff...
Front is a shackle reversal with springs from a 00 F350, they're about 6" longer than stock.
Rear is the very worn out stock springs with a shackle flip.
Tires are 44x18 Boggers, not the standard 19.5's, $350 a piece from Interco. I think they made 20 of them... LOL

Nothing fancy or overly expensive here.

New crank = happy engine, 80 psi cold idle, 75 hot. Even after 10 minutes of straight rev limiter attempting to conquer a hole that had 6" of water in the cab... First person to make it out of it in 3 years, even though I backed out... Clutch was starting to fail me so I gave up while I still had motive power, yet again I ended up with mud packed behind the fingers of the pressure plate, preventing the clutch from engaging.. Made it out of the hole, and about another 1000 feet, went to grab second, and that was the end of the clutch doing anything...
Nice easy 1.5 hour trailside fix to yank it and clean it... LOL

I need more offset in my wheels(I have a very limited turning circle,) and I need to soften up the rear suspension, but otherwise, besides the clutch all worked well.
So, I'm debating trying something different for the clutch, or building a wide ratio C6... An auto is better in the mud, but it's nowhere as smooth putting along just off idle on the trail as a stick is...

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
post up some pics of this doubler u built. i have a 56 in mine now and a 45 laying in the garage...... hrm......

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's very simple, but, you need alot of wheelbase to make it work easily, my rear driveshaft is the same legnth as one for a short bed. The slip yoke 1356 is the same output shaft size and spline as all the other 6 bolt round Ford cases, so I just built an adapter to bolt the 2 cases together(2 chunks of plate and some 5" pipe) and chopped the front output off of the front case, made up a plate to seal the hole and that's pretty much it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ahh ok, so it would be alot longer than a 203/205 unit. i really dont need any lower gears, but it is nice to have. and for your setup i wouldnt have the room. i am already running a shortbed shaft. lol