MY 7.3 Engine Reux 101 LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My parts acquisitions and collections are paying off finally and I am nearing a diss-assembly/rre-assembly of my 7.3 engine soon.

Secured a deal for a complete 093 factory turbo system....:sly;Sweet Thanks JosePedro... only taken 6 years

Have Studs for heads, need studs for main with a Girdle...why...cause that's how I roll.

Need big Pipe tap to do screw in block core plugs, or I may replace with the nice new stock ones I have with the tool sitting on bench, feel much better about threaded plugs:D

Have O rings and Gaskets for the Oil cooler...thanks Russ!

Have head gaskets and intake gasket...NEED LOCATE rear "A" shaped gasket for rear main cover...oh and and an installation tool for a speedi sleeve I've got the sleeve and a new rear main seal...no toolcookoo Also need front timing cover plate gaskets and maybe a WP and TS and finally exhaust manifold gaskets. That sums up sealing...Hmm

Trying to locate a small automotive propane tank to ahem..build propane injection, then a nice tank for **** toocookoo u bet I'm outta my mind.

Looking like I've got a remanned engine from the previous owner, a shortblock with heads reconditioned...about 7000 k on engine is all...Hmm..

I'll pop the injectors over the winter check heads, maybe a weeeee bit O portingLOL and reseal em.

Every single journal will be checked for bearing clearance ...just plasti gauge but will be checked none the less.

Piston to protusion from deck will be checked....

MUST LOCATE CAM...Russ, we need talk ....have some turbo parts to trade, maybe one extra core, and one core for the cam to be ground....

OIL PUMP will be blue printed!!

Here is a question for all u whom have BUILT engines....and I'm curious on yer thoughts.

If this engine is as LOW a mileage as I'm told and is essentially just breaking in, what is yer thoughts on a thorough take down, clean, and ship out for a balance job? I'm curious cause I don't feel like buying a re-ring/bearing kit just for sake of this tear down for inspection but a balance may be affordable in all this.

Just found out $375 to balance entire engine rotating and reciprocating mass..minus the DMF, they need to determine if they actually can balance the DMF first....DOH or come up with a solid flywheel which I'm not wanting to do.

Next Saturday I'm up there to deliver trans for shipping so guess that DMF for demo I had apart is going with me! If they say yaha...then I'll use my GOOD DMF of course.

Well that's where I am, not too much involved YET.... but coming...

I know enough to leave that beast together untill all my gaskets and small parts are in hand. I can leave decisions on balance until I am into it....but for the most part, I'm damn near where I need to be to be able to break down measure and re-assemble...minus a good cam and main studs/girdle of course.

Thanks for reading

Stay tuned, this will be thoroughly documented once I start unscrewing stuff....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al. About the screw in freeze plugs. Check ebay for the Boss 429 screw in plugs. Then you will need the 1 1/4 x 11 1/2 tap. Might need a drill bit 1 1/2 diameter to drill out the block. Be extra careful with the tap. It probably will bottom out against the cylinder liners so some of it may need to be cut off. Thats a big tap to be cutting any off of. Keeping it from being ruined will be tuff. What you don't want to see is the tap turning blue. That ruins it. Keep quenching it in water. The Boss 429 plugs are 1 1/4 inch too so they are the ones I once planned to use. I recall someone posting that the Jasons used a hole saw to drill out the block. That really sounds ruff but it seems to have worked. I really don't think you can rent or borrow a drill motor that can handle a drill bit this size. I sure would not want to attempt hanging on to such a drill motor. Be really careful when cutting threads in the block. Forcing that size tap can crack the block.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al. About the screw in freeze plugs. Check ebay for the Boss 429 screw in plugs. Then you will need the 1 1/4 x 11 1/2 tap. Might need a drill bit 1 1/4 diameter to drill out the block. Be extra careful with the tap. It probably will bottom out against the cylinder liners so some of it may need to be cut off. Thats a big tap to be cutting any off of. Keeping it from being ruined will be tuff. What you don't want to see is the tap turning blue. That ruins it. Keep quenching it in water. The Boss 429 plugs are 1 1/4 inch too so they are the ones I once planned to use. I recall someone posting that the Jasons used a hole saw to drill out the block. That really sounds ruff but it seems to have worked. I really don't think you can rent or borrow a drill motor that can handle a drill bit this size. I sure would not want to attempt hanging on to such a drill motor. Be really careful when cutting threads in the block. Forcing that size tap can crack the block.