My 1994 F-350 4x4 CC TD

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Eh, screw that! We need to do a Moab meet and greet for all the guys on here that tow their crawlers with an IDI!!

PZ

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Good to hear the results of the moose pump. I'm bummed out I missed Crawlfest this year--looked like a good time from all the reports I saw.

Eh, screw that! We need to do a Moab meet and greet for all the guys on here that tow their crawlers with an IDI!!

PZ

I'm down for that anytime! ;Sweet Just twin sticked my Toyota--yep that was long overdue :rolleyes:

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Good to hear the results of the moose pump. I'm bummed out I missed Crawlfest this year--looked like a good time from all the reports I saw.

I'm down for that anytime! ;Sweet Just twin sticked my Toyota--yep that was long overdue :rolleyes:

Best mod I ever made. I have a 2.28 case and a 4.7 case.

Moab it is boys! Maybe in the spring we can make a post and see if we can nail down a time. Two Moab trips in one year would just be :thumbsup:!

PZ

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread! ;Sweet I love the truck it looks amazing! very beautiful truck just curious what did it cost you to rebuild your pump to a moose pump? I have a core I want to send to agem! and wanna get a idea about what it will cost! Please keep the pics coming! keep up the amazing work on the sweet truck.;Sweet

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago we made the trip to Moab for some wheeling with the Toyota's.
Here is the Ford hauling 2 full bodied 4Runners, 130 gallons of fuel, food, tools and spare parts.

We had a moving average of 53mph and got 9.7mpg.

You must be registered for see images attach

Leaving Canyonlands we noticed a puddle of coolant under the Truck. The backside of the radiator corroded through on the lower passenger side and only leaked when idiling the Truck cold. After warming up the tube must have swelled enough to close off the pinhole.

Unable to locate a Radiator in Moab we did the next best thing and bought 12 gallons of water and 4 gallons of coolant and babied her all the way home to SLC, UT.

I was extremely careful to limit high RPM use as I think that's what lead to the radiator splitting. The IDI never spun over 2,700 RPM on the return trip where on the way down it was wound out most of the time to help limit EGT's.

I'm waiting on a water pump from Ford and will get a AutoZone copper/brass radiator. I never buy from AZ but they offer a lifetime warranty and have the lowest price on the original construction. Ford wants $850-1000 for a factory radiator.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Moose Pump supplies waaayyyy more fuel than I can use so I have to be really careful on the long hills to watch EGT. We saw a momentary spike up to 1300*, fortunately with the engine spun up, easing off the pedal provides immediate reduction of EGT's back into the 950-1000* range instantly.

I really NEED to get that intercooler plumbed.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Cool ;Sweet How fast (or slow lol) did she pull over Soldiers Summit?

Be VERY careful that the Autozone radiator has enough fins per inch. The one they pulled up for me had very few fins per inch and had 3 small rows. Autozone radiators rock in general, but the one they had for my IDI in Logan wasn't going to cut it imo.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool ;Sweet How fast (or slow lol) did she pull over Soldiers Summit?

Be VERY careful that the Autozone radiator has enough fins per inch. The one they pulled up for me had very few fins per inch and had 3 small rows. Autozone radiators rock in general, but the one they had for my IDI in Logan wasn't going to cut it imo.

We dropped into 2nd gear and made a 23mph assault:rolleyes:, the only limiting factor is EGT.

Thanks for the tip on the AZ radiator.

What did you end up doing with yours?

Really I would prefer to just repair mine but I'm concerned about additional corrosion and I don't want the radiator shop to bend me over just because they want it for scrap.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Oh man I have a story for you! You wouldn't believe what I went through to get mine BACK from the radiator shop when they said it was no good and they would throw it away for me! :eek: I could barely lift it out of my truck it was so heavy, and what's copper going for these days?! hmmm... Gee I wonder what they had in mind! LOL

Hey 23 isn't bad at all considering how steep and brutally long that grade is. Its funny EGT was your limiting factor, mine is always coolant temp, but that is mostly because my pyro is broken LOL

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the radiator info, I would love a Rodney Red but can't justify it and I'm a little sketchy about the e-bay aluminum radiator. I will look more into fin count.

Are our radiators 4 core?

Coolant temp has been a factor before in the summer but it was about 50* out and we had a good run at it with the heater on. I seriously had 3/4 of a pedal...nice to know it's there...just cant use it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
great looking truck.;Sweet

i saw that your pillar pod was painted to match the interior color. my interior is grey like yours. did the pillar come with the truck like that? if not what paint did you use?

anybody know how to go about finding the color code for my interior and then getting the right paint?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great looking truck.;Sweet

i saw that your pillar pod was painted to match the interior color. my interior is grey like yours. did the pillar come with the truck like that? if not what paint did you use?

anybody know how to go about finding the color code for my interior and then getting the right paint?

Thanks!
The pillar came that color. The color is dyed into the plastic just like the dash and other interior pieces. I imagine the color code can be found via the VIN.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thanks. my pillar that i got is black. it won't look bad with the grey interior. it would just be a plus if i could find the paint and get some for cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance