My 1994 F-350 4x4 CC TD

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems kind of low to me. I had to have my foot constantly planted to the floor billowing smoke hauling my hugh trailer with 15k worth of steel on it(all together about 25k) and I still wasnt getting worse than 13mpg. I pulled a load like that from a friends grandparents place 3 hours from me and still got better than 13 doing 65 all the way home.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running around town with a the bed full of junk I usually get 16-16.5 driving nice. Running 60-65 on the highway I was getting around 17. If I did 80 I dropped down pretty low and could drain a tank in very short order. The example I gave was when really loaded, just pulling the trailer with a 5 or 6k behind the truck I usually dont get less than 15mpgs pulling around town or on the highway, but I generally take it easy.

The highest I have gotten was 19 running the highway at 60 through three tanks of fuel having no weight in the truck and keeping the ac off which I normally always leave on.

I plan to switch to 3.55s soon to see what differences I notice.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose Pump and matched BB injectors

I sent my core to Agnem to be Moosed and recieved it about a month later along with a set of matched BB injectors and a new return line kit.

The install went well but removing the factory turbo was a pain. It was all done in a parking lot since I did not want to tie up the shop while I waited for the pump to be built.

You must be registered for see images attach

The power gained by adding the Moose Pump is simply a side benefit to me. My Truck was experiencing hard starting due to heat soak and that was getting old!:puke:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mid range power is great and boost now comes up immediatly.

I finally got a chance to really test the new Moose Pump and Injectors. I pulled my Toyota to an event 800 miles round trip.

This was a loaded trip as the Truck had gear for 2 adults, tools for Truck, trailer, and Toyota as well as spare parts, jack stands, food, water and 1000 lbs of fuel.

The pyro and boost gauge MUST be monitored, there is no such thing as cruise control any more. It is always a delicate balance of OD on/OD off, boost low, pyro high, vice versa. I saw an accidental 1300*F and 19 psi. The coolant never made it past the 'M'. I used the heater on one occasion to help cool the engine although it was not necessary. The OAT was 22*F to 55*F. The Transmission saw a high of 210*F and stayed there, dropping to 180*F while idiling in traffic.

I had all the power I needed, the EGT and BOOST were the limiting factors. In fact I never held my foot to the floot except for merging onto the highway. I usually had 1/2-1/4 pedal at all times. The short term fix is to adjust the wastegate to dump pressure, the true fix is to plumb the mounted '99 SD intercooler.

Starting in cold conditions (0*F) has been exceptional, hot starts take a few cranks longer.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of milage did you see?

I don't keep track, but a rough estimate would be 11mpg. I filled both tanks twice...
17+19=36
36*2=72
800/72=11.1

I would estimate the average speed to be 65-70mph. We had it cranked up to 80-85 mph for miles at a time. 3,000 RPM is not really the IDI's sweet spot.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Truck is mostly stock and has never had the injectors or glow plugs removed. Even though this was done in a parking lot utmost attention to cleanliness was paid.

The injectors broke loose with a satisfying crack after being soaked in a light squirt of penetrant. The GP's were the same with a light, even coating of soot.

The injector seats were still shiny and all copper washers came out attached to the injectors. I vacummed out the injector bores with a shopvac with a 3/8" nozzle. I then swabbed the inside of the bore and threads with a bore brush followed up by LONG cotton swabs dipped in vaseline to catch any small crud/sand.

Everything was assembled using a torque wrench and nickle anti-seize.

P.S. I know this update is scattered...I waited too long to cover too many items.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a two pictures while we were loading up:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get that intercooler plumbed. That made a HUGE difference in driveability on my truck, and I don't have the Moose Pump yet. (I'm running a re-sealed DPS pump and stock Delphi replacement injectors)

Great looking truck!

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
What event did you tow to? Were there any passes you had to take? Do you have head studs for the extra boost??

I am building my truck to tow my toyota crawler, and your build has inspired me!

PZ

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What event did you tow to? Were there any passes you had to take? Do you have head studs for the extra boost??

I am building my truck to tow my toyota crawler, and your build has inspired me!

PZ

No, I don't have head studs. Fortunantly for the high boost scenarios the engine was turning over 2,500 RPM.

There are quite a few long pulls from SLC to Saint George, UT. 2 that if I cannot get a run at or get cut off by an A-hole in a VW Westfalia it's a 45-55mph event.

Here is a link to SouthWest CrawlFest...see you next year!

http://southwestcrawlfest.com/

If you register you can view our local site:

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=80350

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online