Mustang 5.0 HO motor in a 88 F250..?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they will work, i put a set of mac shorty headers on a 93 f150 with a 5.0 one time. had headers, had trk 2+2 if you know what i mean. you do have to cut the flange off on the drs side and reroute it a little. same for the pass side. but they clear. and they are worth it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Correct the 5.0 Mustang headers will work on the Truck but like Mudkicker said the y pipe has to be modified. I am getting a set of shorty headers made for the trucks that will bolt on without any modifications. I am planning on killing the cat. The truck already has a cat back exhaust system with duals, so it sould sound good.

The 5.0 Motor didn't work out today so I am still on the hunt, Mudkicker I sent you a PM about the 351W stuff,...

I also ran across a 5.0 truck motor that is a fresh rebuild, 30 over with a towing RV cam installed. I may check out that tomorrow. He wants $500.00 for it,.... Just not sure if the power would be close to the Mustang HO 5.0. Any Input on that,..?

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep in mind alot of the power difference in the H.O. vs std 302 was in the injection and fuel mapping. the H.O. engine was also "SEFI" trucks untill 96 maybe 95 were "bank" fired. meaning the trucks would fire all 4 injectors at once 1 bank at time and SEFI fired the appropriate injector and the right time. the trucks were speed density fuel compensated. and most H.O. were mass air compensated 89-up. if your interested in mild to moderate+ eng enhancments the mass air flow setup is the way to go

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i disagree. Speed density is very tolerable of changes unless u go around swapping in a big cam that looses manifold vacuum. i actually think and from what i read around that mass air really isnt all that better except for going with a huge cam.

besides the fuel map, the HO engines had a decent cam and factory shorty headers, i would not run a HO intake set up on a truck, it will kill all the low end (which isnt much).

Hit Man X

Huffin Diesel Smoke
Reaction score
keep in mind alot of the power difference in the H.O. vs std 302 was in the injection and fuel mapping. the H.O. engine was also "SEFI" trucks untill 96 maybe 95 were "bank" fired. meaning the trucks would fire all 4 injectors at once 1 bank at time and SEFI fired the appropriate injector and the right time. the trucks were speed density fuel compensated. and most H.O. were mass air compensated 89-up. if your interested in mild to moderate+ eng enhancments the mass air flow setup is the way to go

Wrong, 302s in the F-series became SEFI MAF in 1994 when the 4R70W was introduced in them. Thankfully the AOD finally went away.

Next, the 302 truck was 185hp/270tq in the flat tappet version. My '88 F150 (302/AOD) has a roller block from the factory, just the nubs to hold the spider tray were not threaded.

You can do PLENTY with speed density, I have taken vehicles back to SD as MAF hits a limit with airflow. My Gen III GM truck is one with an STS butt-turbo, MAF simply was a limit at big HP. SD is just simply manifold pressure based. Easy as hell to tune with TwEECer or EECtuner type of units for Ford.

The EEC IVs for these trucks just need high manifold vacuum to operate. Small port heads (150-180cc max on a street 302 in a truck), the Edelbrock truck intake, mild cam, etc will be more than fine on the stock unit. OBVIOUSLY a custom chip is ideal as the stock truck EEC IV leaves some to be desired for max RPM, timing advance, etc.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay $500 for a 302HO, I bought one for $90 a few years back with 97k miles. The TQ/RV cam isn't that great, they're usually 204/214 .440" 112LSA style units. HO cam is in the 210/210 .444" 115.5LSA... basically the HO cam is not a bad grind with some 1.7:1 roller rockers to get the lift up a tad and a bit more duration.

Yes, Mustang shorty headers fit. I ran them before I went to Hookers... then I went to Thorley TriYs. The Stang shorty headers require a new Y pipe... if you're going through that hassle, just go long tubes. BIG gains in torque.

And a motor with a 3" stroke does not belong in a 3/4 ton truck. I'd swap in a 4.9 for a tow pig or a 351W.

Since you're pressed for time, I can see a used 302 HO for now then build a 408W. Stay away from garbage made in China cranks, if you can't afford to do it right... stick with the stock 3.5" crank turned .010", resize the 5.955" stock rods (they're forged already), get some decent SpeedPro forged slugs, and spend your money on heads.

Ford has never made some good heads from the factory. I have some TFS heads atop my F150, the difference in performance from the junk E7TEs is just insane. The spare sets I pulled off my other motors I use for wheel chocks.

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4r70w came out in 93 on f-series its the same thing as AODE-W they basically decided to change the name. and this was not SEFI for 93. the SEFI started maybe in 94 but was rare i think cali emissons only and you had either MFI or SEFI. you can do decent engine mods to both injection systems but speed density cannot compensate for mods. you will see very slight trim adjustments operating in closed loop. mass air systems can compensate for any mod and when you reach certain limits there are larger maf's and throttle bodys to allow more air flow. if all your concerned about is WOT engine operation no one of these 2 systems are better than the other. but if i was gonna drive it on the street i would take the maf system hands down. and i would only run the car HO engine if i was mud bogging or racing a truck.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
what mods wont a speed density compensate for besides a larger cam with lower manifold vacuum?

and u basically said what me and hitman have said already. but there is one thing we agree on...Ford factory heads suck! and the 302 ho isnt a work engine.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I sure as hell wouldn't pay $500 for a 302HO, I bought one for $90 a few years back with 97k miles.

Thanks for the input, The $500.00 was for a rebuilt long block, not for a used 5.0 HO,..However if you paid $90.00 for a ready to drop in 5.0HO Congrats you got a steal of a deal. I have been looking for a couple of months and if it is a good 5.0HO that runs it is $300 to $500.00 no matter what. I have seen a couple low mile ones for $600.00. I did buy one that was seized up to possibly rebuild but I decided not to. I sold it for $250.00 yesterday.

And a motor with a 3" stroke does not belong in a 3/4 ton truck. I'd swap in a 4.9 for a tow pig or a 351W.

Since you're pressed for time, I can see a used 302 HO for now then build a 408W. Stay away from garbage made in China cranks, if you can't afford to do it right... stick with the stock 3.5" crank turned .010", resize the 5.955" stock rods (they're forged already), get some decent SpeedPro forged slugs, and spend your money on heads.

I sure as heck would not pull a v8 and install a straight 6,...Oh wait, I guess I did that once,...;Really . anyway I wold not go from a 302V8 to a 300 straight 6. I would consider a 351 but then I would need to change the computer and intake etc.

The thing is,... This is a PLOW TRUCK,, I am not building a hauler, race truck, Mud Truck, or a Show truck. This truck is being used to plow my car lot, driveway, haul motors, bring a car back from the auto auction with the tow dolly, and tow a snowmobile once and a while. I just figured that if I had to swap the motor I would look into the 5.0 HO. I really don't need anything more than that.

So at this time I bought the a rebuilt truck motor. It has been bored 30 over, new pistons, towing RV cam, heads all redone, New oil pump and timing chain. He was asking $500.00 for it, and I got it for $400.00. I figured this was the best bang for the buck. It is a bolt in application, I can use the new Headers, and K&N Intake on it without any further modifications.

gotta go I have a customer,......

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It was a busy day, Sold 2 cars and I just now have the time to finish my previous post,.

Anyway I am getting the motor ready to install, it needs rockers so I am looking at getting the 1.7 rockers instead of the stock 1.6 for a little more lift out of the cam. From what I have read this setup should will work well with the stock computer with out any mods.

Now I just need it not to snow for a week and maybee I can get the motor installed,..

Later,...

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont remember but i think you may have to clearance the baffles inside the valve covers for the 1.7's no biggie though. depending on actual cam lift specs you may not really need 1.7 rockers with a stockish eng. but most of the time they are a benefit. i too would not stick a 300 I6 in place of the V8's.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
im not going to get into a 302 v. 300 debate but how much experience have u had with a 300?

IMHO, the 300 6cyl is probably the best motor that Ford ever built. It has great torque, enough power, good mileage, and pretty industructable. Probably because it doesn't have enough power to blow itself up,.. I have owned a couple trucks, with this motor, My brother has one that he uses for his counter top business. My buddy had one in an E-350 Cargo Van that he ran up over 300K with it.

In Fact I am just bought an 84 F150 4x4 with the 300 in it and will pick that up tomorrow.

I just don't want one in Droopy. I like the good ole 5.0 V8,..;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
dont remember but i think you may have to clearance the baffles inside the valve covers for the 1.7's no biggie though. depending on actual cam lift specs you may not really need 1.7 rockers with a stockish eng. but most of the time they are a benefit. i too would not stick a 300 I6 in place of the V8's.

Ill check into the clearance issue, I have not decided if I am going to spend the money on the 1.7's or use the stock ones out of the motor that is coming out of the truck. Depends how many more cars I sell before we are ready to tackle the project,..

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry i didnt get back to you on the 393 stroker engine, but the way you were talking about finding a complete motor for 500 bucks i know you wouldnt want to put the money into my motor. now with the whole debate about the 302 300 thing, i tring to think of the years but i think it was in like 92 93 and up the f350s could either get a 300/351or 460 gas engine? i know for a few years ford didnt put a 302 in the f350, but they put a 300. i know someone will correct me if im wrong but i know they did it for a few years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online