Moving on to one of the other 6, engine rattles after startup

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks a million for helping me figure out what the problem was with my moms truck.

Now I would like to figure out WTH is wrong with one of MY trucks. Its an 83 6.9, unknown actual miles. Runs GREAT with all kinds of power. But it started this rattle missing crap after startup a few months ago. I figured it was bad injectors so I put rebuilds in. Still does the same crap, but now it even LOPES!

It starts this LOUD rattling after its started and ran for a good 30 seconds, then clears up after you blip the throttle or let it run for a min or so.

Now Im begining to wonder if its got lifters going flat or something.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Did You do the return lines after You put injectors?
Also, if it started right after the new injectors it could be timing but 5 think that isn't the case.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I didnt do all the return lines. How would that cause it to start up fine, then rattle like this?
I havent messed with the pump at all.

The reason I installed the injectors was because of this problem, and it still does it.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like air has leaked in, possibly through the return lines, being that they were disturbed when you replaced the injectors(they could have been leaking before the injector change-out and were made worse.)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It could be a # of things too (like low oil pressure maybe until it builds up) , but I would change those return lines first. I would think that if it is something mechanical it will do it most of the time and not just 30 seconds.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely, if your injection pump is ancient, it's time to swap it out. You have 6 trucks, so you could always try a pump swap to see if the problem follows the pump or the engine. A no cost test for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online