Motorcraft glow plugs burnt out!

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I got my glow plugs tested and 7 out of 8 were shot. What could cause this as I only have about 4,500 miles on them. When I had them out there seemed to be carbon built up on them and the tips were white. Timing to far advanced? I have also run a few tanks of WMO at about 70% WMO and 30% diesel would this burn them up?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
86? SOunds like your controller took a dump and leaves them on too long.
Time to update to the solid state 87+ setup

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to put a push button in for now. How long should I cycle the plugs once I install new ones? 6 secs? I believe I have read on here most cycle 10 to 12 sec. I don't want to burn a new set up. I do want to switch to the new set up sometime but don't have the money right at the moment. You don't think that there is a timing issue? or running wmo caused the burn out?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really hard starting? I would think it would be with only 1 working glowplug. If it starts easy maybe the shop is trying to sell you a set of glowplugs. Mine will start with no glow but it needs to be a warm summer day and about a 10 second crank, maybe mines not in as good a shape as others though.

It is possible that timing ate them, or theoretically possible (though doubtful) that WMO killed them, but unless you also had timing adjusted when you changed the glowplugs I would guess your controller is keeping them on too long.

I like a push button setup a lot. I glow just long enough to get an easy start. So at 80-90 degrees its 6 seconds, up to 12-14 at 0. So I just guess in between. With recent 60s I give it about 8 seconds.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you are going to do a push button, put in the bullet connector plugs as they are better plugs. Then when you are ready for a controller you can put in the solid state set up.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to do a push button, put in the bullet connector plugs as they are better plugs. Then when you are ready for a controller you can put in the solid state set up.

I was under the impression that they were the same plug just a different connector?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I am going to put a push button in for now. How long should I cycle the plugs once I install new ones? 6 secs? I believe I have read on here most cycle 10 to 12 sec. I don't want to burn a new set up. I do want to switch to the new set up sometime but don't have the money right at the moment. You don't think that there is a timing issue? or running wmo caused the burn out?

I hold mine on for about 9 seconds, off for 5 and on for another 4 and it starts great! Or they need to be held for about 12-13 seconds on a single cycle

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
65 and above I don't need them, and only about 2-5 sec of cranking ;Sweet

60 or below I give 3-7 sec (Bosch plugs) and it starts within 1 revolution :D................That is until the GP's burn out 5k later :puke: then it's back to an Ether Addict :mad:

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it you haven't had your IP actually timed? Before I bought my timing adapter I burnt out a set of Motorcraft/Berus after a 900 mile drive with the timing advanced too far.

If it's your controller, you'd probably notice the WTS light on too long, or the power dimming if the afterglow was staying on excessively.

Even if you are switching to a manual GP setup, slightly retard the timing until you can find a person or place that can actually check your timing with a meter, or just leave it slightly retarded indefinitely so you don't chance burning up any more GPs; It's your call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online