Motorcraft Fan Clutch at Rock Auto $90

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fan runs all the time and I know the clutch is shot. Checking out replacements Rock Auto has Motorcraft ones for under $90. Autozone by me loans the wrenches. Hopefully the 60 degree weather lasts so I can replace it before the snow falls. Decided not to go the electric route.
Merry Christmas

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fans do always spin and fast too.are you sure she's engaged? you can test to make sure by blocking off the radiator until the engine temp raises upwards of 240F.if you hear the fan kick on and ROAR like a ****** before 240F then she's good.
merry xmas to you too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the front of the fan has oil and dirt collected around the flat spring or the back seal is oily with dirt on it then your clutch is shot. BTW that 90 bucks is a killer deal...;Sweet:sly

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the front of the fan has oil and dirt collected around the flat spring or the back seal is oily with dirt on it then your clutch is shot. BTW that 90 bucks is a killer deal...;Sweet:sly
Yesterday while replacing my rad yes, the front spring was wet...oh well just another thing :frustrate

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yesterday while replacing my rad yes, the front spring was wet...oh well just another thing :frustrate

Wow... This could very well have been your cooling issues all along. Now you have the old hard way of removing the fan with the radiator and shroud in the way. Well like you mentioned.. Something more to do but do it later. I'm kind of like Jefferson.... Always put off till tomorrow what you could easily have finished today...:eek:;Really:D:angel:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes. Mine is/has been/was oily and greasy back there. I tried the radiator block off earlier in the spring or summer and never heard the roar. It's original. It looks like a straightforward replacement.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My fan runs all the time and I know the clutch is shot. Checking out replacements Rock Auto has Motorcraft ones for under $90. Autozone by me loans the wrenches. Hopefully the 60 degree weather lasts so I can replace it before the snow falls. Decided not to go the electric route.
Merry Christmas

Thanks for tip on the Motorcraft clutch. Mine has been a little wired lately, plus at that price I would probably buy it just to have for spare. Ordered one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Mine is/has been/was oily and greasy back there. I tried the radiator block off earlier in the spring or summer and never heard the roar. It's original. It looks like a straightforward replacement.

As for straight forwards best I can say is maybe. That huge fan nut is ruff to hold if you do not have the correct wrench for it. Then holding the pulley can sometimes be a ruuf job too. Please place a large piece of card board up against the radiator before you pull the fan off the pump. If you have never removed one of these be prepared for the weight. They are heavy. REMEMBER THIS IS A LEFT HAND THREAT TOO. Read the writing printed into the plastic shroud. It clearly tells you the fan nut is left hand thread. The torque on that is critical too. Its around 175 fr lbs.:eek: Reason for this high torque is simple. Our engines stop running very fast when the ignition is switched off because of the extremely high compression. This sudden stopping of the crank WILL break loose the nut and then your fan spins off the water pump and eates the radiator. I recall a member here that forgot to tighten the fan clutch nut. Srtarted the engine and shut it down only to watch the fan loosen and crash into the radiator.....:cry::fan::oops:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I saw that fan clutch on rock auto. YB-467 motorccraft. It is listed as fitting 1990-1992. What is the difference in a 93 or 94 fan clutch?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... This could very well have been your cooling issues all along. Now you have the old hard way of removing the fan with the radiator and shroud in the way. Well like you mentioned.. Something more to do but do it later. I'm kind of like Jefferson.... Always put off till tomorrow what you could easily have finished today...:eek:;Really:D:angel:
Actually, never had a real overheating problem as I don't even tow my boat anymore...my rad issues was it was leaking and once I pulled the old one out it was visibly leaking from several areas!
I have the tool to remove the big fan clutch nut...unless it overheats 'running around local' I'm not going to worry about replacing the fan clutch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online