Motorbreath's Crew Cab

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
I don't plan on doing a frame off resto, or a 2000ftlb sled pull truck, but I thought i'd start up a build thread anyway. Its fun to be able to look back and see progress...

So.

I bought my truck about 9 years ago. I was SUPER anti-E40D after some bad experiance with my previous F150. I couldn't find a ZF5 truck in So-Cal... but I found one in Molalla Oregon... Next thing I knew, I was on a plane to Oregon to have a look in person, pay the man, and start my 15 hour drive home. I was 20yrs old, and had never owned...wrenched on... or even driven a diesel truck. (and ALL my $$$ spent to get there, and get the truck home):eek:
Oh, and little did I know, I was about to experiance the loss of a job with the Grocery strike.... WHOLE NUTHER' STORY!

I don't have a pic from the day it came home, but it looked much like this, but with full length aluminum running boards:
You must be registered for see images attach

...then all the issues showed up... banks turbo, radiator, water pump, alternator, clutch, headgaskets... all needed replaced within a year of the purchase of the truck.

Like I said. 20 years old, never owned, wrenched on, or driven a diesel prior to this truck... I've since learned.:D

Found a Lance Camper for $400 that lived on the truck through every desert season for a few years...

Then came the ORU shackle reversal kit and the 315's

The current pics:
New Carrier lift pump

Underhood

Recent Clutch job

Banks Gauges

Most Recently, Fresh axles front/rear with 4.56's and a Mag High-Tec cover to impress girls at stoplights with... just don't tell my wife...

Last edited:

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
We would all kill for that clean of a truck in the rust belt. Mine is that rust free, but I have alot of "custom" body modifications.

The 5 speed sure is nice for pulling a trailer.

How do you like the slide in camper?

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
Thanks for the atta' boys. My truck is under appreciated by most my family and friends... so its nice to know you guys are on my side...

Honestly, i'm not sure what brand the gauge pod is. I bought it a Kragen years ago...

My Lance Camper was great. Especially since I was using it for less than $600. Cleaned it up real well, added a stereo inside, some peel n' stick tiles to make the floor look better... But... it has since been replaced by this:

MUCH more room... which is necessary since the wife and I became parents. (kinda)

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
I can't WAIT to tow the trailer again now that the trucks gear'd a bit more appropriately for the tires...

Next for the truck is some tube bumpers, a roof rack for the shell, and some offroad lighting... (if the warden will let me quit working on our dump of a house for a little bit anyway...)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ididriver I'm gonna have those pictures for you soon pm your cell number if you can get pictures I did alot more than I had planed I have 22in of travel. Also motorbreath55 do you live around San Diego? That's a nice truck! How much does that toy hauler wiegh?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is near SD poway is just up the road, I have a good friend that works for the Otay water district, when I come visit we shal have a gathering.,preferably at glamis.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typ4 that sounds good. I have a 92 jeep cherry with long travel and caged rear end handles well but havin tranny issues grrrr and a banshee and another quad. When could you come down? That would be alot of fun!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trying to come this winter. Got about a dozen rail buddies that want to see what its like.

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
Well... be sure to give lots of notice. I'm hoping to have this driving in the next 2-3 months...

...as for the ORU kit, I think they advertise it as a 2.5" increase in ride height.

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
Well the saga continues... its been mostly little BS stuff for "Big Ugly"... found a stereo with bluetooth and some fresh speakers...but thats hardly worth posting about...

Scored a FREE superduty center console:

and today, HYDROBOOOOOOOOST!

Again... you've seen it before... so what good are pics of stock Fsuperduty parts on my truck... but DAMN is it an improvement. No more squishy pedal. MAYBE an inch of pedal travel to a firm confidence inspiring stop. Worth every penny to anyone considering....

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet crew cab.

I disagree about the stereo..what are the specs on it and the speakers?

I've been wanting a Bluetooth deck and new speakers.