Motor vibration issues

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All cylinders are firing, but motor shakes the whole truck when idle and parked. A little throttle smooths things out. The shake isn't bad, just annoying.

Harmonic balancer out of whack? I can't find a single source for one online, I only know of one idi in the local yards. And just about the only part of the motor left are the heads and block. :mad:

The IP is only static timed right now, could this cause it?

Motor mounts?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that if the timing were to advanced that it would cause your problems.

sootman73

Reaction score
just get a Fluidamper. not too bad for our trucks and i guess they do add some power.

any fuel leaking from an injection line? thats what happened when my lines cracked and the cylinder quit getting fuel and wasn't firing. how did you check to see all cylinders were firing?

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested each cylinder by cracking injector lines while running the motor, also used a stethoscope to compare sounds on each cylinder. I am pretty certain that is all squared away.

Injectors have no miles on them, truck isn't safe to drive yet (brakes and power steering are out) - I've run the truck maybe 30 mins since installing them.

Timing is set to the static timing index mark, lots of clatter like it is static timed.

No fuel leaks, I just went through the whole system for leaks until I was educated about the tendency to draw air into the system as early as a 1/4 tank. -cuss

Maybe a broken motor mount? The flange from the headers to the exhaust sheered a bolt off recently, might be attributed to that? Never really looked at the mounts, so I'm not sure what to expect by inspecting them.

EDIT: Couldn't find a fluidampr for the 6.9 idi, any ideas?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
lil bits of air get in the weirdest places.... I'd run it alot longer before condemning anything.
After having the fuel system apart they need to get run with a load on the road

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would say you need to get it timed with the correct equipment when you can. I'm assuming by timing marks you are talking about the marks on the IP and IP gear cover...those are only a reference and are different between IP's. When I put the IP from the 85 on my 87 (87 wasn't running when I got it) I lined up those marks and was quite a bit off. You might play with it by moving it a little either way to see if it helps.

Motor mounts are hard to inspect unless they are totally shot. Get where you can see them and look for any material squeezed out, if not, have somone jokey the throttle and look for significant movement. If one is bad, I'd recommend replacing them all because they work as a system, when one fails, it puts undo strain on the others. Of course, I'm the type that would rather be safe than sorry, which often doesn't work well with a limited budget.

sootman73

Reaction score
it looks like they discontinued the 7.3 and 6.9 idi products at fluidampr. i emailed them to be sure.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you need to get it timed with the correct equipment when you can. I'm assuming by timing marks you are talking about the marks on the IP and IP gear cover...those are only a reference and are different between IP's. When I put the IP from the 85 on my 87 (87 wasn't running when I got it) I lined up those marks and was quite a bit off. You might play with it by moving it a little either way to see if it helps.

Yep, those were the marks I was referring to. Unfortunately only the stealership has the right equipment in my area. Anyone know how long it should take them? I don't like paying $100/hr labor...

Motor mounts are hard to inspect unless they are totally shot. Get where you can see them and look for any material squeezed out, if not, have somone jokey the throttle and look for significant movement. If one is bad, I'd recommend replacing them all because they work as a system, when one fails, it puts undo strain on the others. Of course, I'm the type that would rather be safe than sorry, which often doesn't work well with a limited budget.

When you say movement, you mean play between the motor and mount?

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a harmonic balancer off Ebay earlier this year, don't remember from who off hand. But if you find out the IH part # ( I have it somewhere) you should be able to search by that.
FWIW, In my opinion I doubt that the harmonic balancer is the problem. If it was you would probably hear a rattle from it at idle, and you'd be able to tell by the inner and out parts being loose because of the rubber rotting and allowing them to move.
*On edit: N/A part number is 1809117C1 for the harmonic balancer