Motor mount crack!

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
last nite a friend of mine and i were riding in his 95 Dodge Cummins 5spd 4x4 after we fixed a vacuum line to see how the brakes worked, since we fixed the leak. on our way back from the shop we heard a bang, and some clunking. we got out and started looking at it and found that the passenger side motor mount snapped in half and now the motor is sitting on the frame cross member under the oil pan, it put the tranny and xfer case on a bind. we limped it back to the shop for a better look. when we got there we realized that the block cracked where the top bolt goes, its not leaking oil, just 1/2 the threads and hole to thread the bolt into are gone now. we have the other piece of it still. I have never seen a truck do this before. he said the driverside motor mount cracked about 6 months ago. he already replaced it. this all on a truck that is straight piped with a couple turns on the fuel screw. nothing else done to it.

Now our ? is will the bottom 2 bolts hold the motor up okay?? should we try to fix the block around the upper bolt?? should we tap out the block and put a longer bolt in?? or is it new motor time??

I am not sure if it is a "53" casting or not, i will check it out tonite when i go down to the shop.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would need to see some pictures to make a better assessment of the situation. You could always do like we did on derby cars - chain the engine to the frame.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
we talked about that, hopefully i will get some pics to post up so you all can see what i am talking about

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've heard of broken mounts before, but never the
block like you're describing. That's some weird stuff.

hicfarmboy

Reaction score
Hey this same thing happened to my 1994 dodge 2500 cummins 5 speed. i had to pull the whole moter out and take the block away to get the broken off pieces spray welded back on.

John Deere

Reaction score
I was at my neighbor's a few years ago looking at a 94 dodge they had in the bone yard and noticed it had this very same problem. I don't remember exactly how it was fixed, but I seem to rember that a homemade plate of some sort was used. He told me that it had happened on their other 2 dodges as well.

bob4x4

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me years ago,Dodge bought me a short block

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk