Motor from automatic truck to standard truck

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, took my 7.3 off the road due to leaking everywhere oil pan and rear main leaking quite a bit and I park on the road so can't keep ruining the road side.
I found a 1991 f350 CC long box with a 5 speed with a motor that's knocking for $1200. Since I'd pull the motor to do the oil pan and rear main how what would be involved going from an auto truck to a manual truck?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your just talking about swapping your motor into the cc 5 speed it's simple. There is no big difference between an auto motor and a manual motor. Flywheels are different, your auto truck has a different engine wiring harness because of the throttle position sensor on it. $1200 if the CC is pretty rust free don't sound too bad at all.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya it seems not too bad. he said it needed work. i dont know if he means other than the engine. it almost sounds like a injector knock from what videos ive watched online. im wondering if i should get it and try to swap injectors over and see if it goes away. the fiancee doesnt really like the idea of all that work though. or me buying another old truck like that.

heres the ad.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/3233833230.html

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they painted it flat black? I personally hate that. I would rather have a vehicle with multiple color panels on it than just put some cheap flat black on it. Most of the time it's more work to paint it right cause the prep or masking is never done well.

Crewcab 4x4 for that kind of money I'd be all over it. And it's got the new front end. Front axle should be 600 if you give it away. Scrap the rest and your money ahead. I can completely understand the work and effort piece though. If you do it I would probably put a new clutch in it while you had it apart.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they painted it flat black? I personally hate that. I would rather have a vehicle with multiple color panels on it than just put some cheap flat black on it. Most of the time it's more work to paint it right cause the prep or masking is never done well.

Crewcab 4x4 for that kind of money I'd be all over it. And it's got the new front end. Front axle should be 600 if you give it away. Scrap the rest and your money ahead. I can completely understand the work and effort piece though. If you do it I would probably put a new clutch in it while you had it apart.

just having a hard time convincing the significant other

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[the fiancee doesnt really like the idea of all that work though. or me buying another old truck like that./QUOTE]

Oh Oh. Get her hands greasy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Changing the peddles is a big thing for me but maybe not for others. The crank bolts are 47 ft lbs of torque and require thread sealant because they enter the oily side of the engine. Engine oil will leak past the tight threads. Several member have found this out the hard way...

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the peddles is a big thing for me but maybe not for others. The crank bolts are 47 ft lbs of torque and require thread sealant because they enter the oily side of the engine. Engine oil will leak past the tight threads. Several member have found this out the hard way...

What do you mean by changing peddles?

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What I posted about the peddles is changing from auto to standard trans. Thats what I thought you may be doing. Just installing a differant engine in a truck. I didn't read your first post as clearly as I should have...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That swap from your truck...to the CC if you where SETUP, could easily be done in one weekend....IF you have the location, tools and exp to do it.

If this was something you need to consider...that CC is good for family that's for sure and that price for a turbo one....OMG...steal...if I had the coin I would drop it...I'd drive that CC and check for synchros in the trans if you can....and as well feel injectors for a hot one...

If you took two weekends you could do a fantastic job of it all including some cleanup/paint

Your engine, PULL

get front and rear seals, with speedy sleeves, a tube of RTV for pan, (if not done in long while) may as well do the oil cooler while it's out so new o rings, and gaskets...then it's set to go in and your golden.

My only concern would be the clutch and so forth on the CC but eh...the price is right!

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That swap from your truck...to the CC if you where SETUP, could easily be done in one weekend....IF you have the location, tools and exp to do it.

If this was something you need to consider...that CC is good for family that's for sure and that price for a turbo one....OMG...steal...if I had the coin I would drop it...I'd drive that CC and check for synchros in the trans if you can....and as well feel injectors for a hot one...

If you took two weekends you could do a fantastic job of it all including some cleanup/paint

Your engine, PULL

get front and rear seals, with speedy sleeves, a tube of RTV for pan, (if not done in long while) may as well do the oil cooler while it's out so new o rings, and gaskets...then it's set to go in and your golden.

My only concern would be the clutch and so forth on the CC but eh...the price is right!

I've already done the cooler. Was a royal PITA. I'm trying to convince the fiancée, heh. And that's only trouble. I'd have to bring it down to work ( overhead crane) to pull the motor. I work at a industrial paint shop so I could just strip it and put some urethane on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online