Motor Assembly Progress

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So far I have the rotating parts assembled. The pistons are between 0.024 & 0.026 above the block deck. Now this is after I milled 0.010 off the top of a set of Mahle Ha pistons that were already low comp (pins milled 0.010 higher in the piston) pistons. Then I had them coated with the Tech Line CBX creamic for high compression engines. The balancing went fine after I balanced all the pistons myself. The shop I used told me it would be ok if I could get them down to a 2 gram differance. I was able to make them between 1/2 and 3/4 gram in my shop.... The heads are on but like I told Mr. Bill last night I'm not looking forwards to the final 2 line patterns at 110 lbs each. I really hurt so much and I know this will make more pain in my back but it will get done. I just need to step up and do it and be done with it. Its not that I don't have hte offer of help because I do. Its just my responsibility to get it done. I think I'll put a cheater on the end of my click torque wrench..LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
CJ I've herd about what you posted but I'm not sure either way on that. If the torque wrench was a clicker or spring bar it will still "see" the same twisting torque on the nut and bolt or stud threads. Thats what is important. Not the ease at what pressure you add for your convience. I've used 1 inch drive torque qrenches and had to reach 6650 ft lbs. It was a click type wrench about 8 ft long. I also have had the job of using a 3 1/2 inch drive impact wrench. It required a team of six men to use. One person turned on the air, 4 men handled the wrench and one guy was in the crane lifting it up to all the nuts on the studs. We called it The Widow Maker. Everybody "had" to work together or someone was going to get hurt. Anyway if others would like to chime in here I'll listen too. I'm not always right.... Except with the wife.... When shes not around....:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Methinks a cheater on a torque wrench might throw it out a little because the fulcrum point is changing, I flunked algebra but did well in geometry.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
it won't change anything.The force will be the same at the true Fulcrum(or bolt stud) but the force enacted on said tool will be considerably less due to the lever action.Main reason I can put over 400Ft/Lbs on a bolt with the monster torque at work(3 foot snap on) where as 110Ft/Lbs on my standard Matco is a real bear.Longer the bar the more linear movement with less force but same rotational force and movent.........Ok,I am offically a Geek!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. As long as the cheater doesn't affect the internals of the wrench it will be fine. Might be harder to feel the click though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the final torque of 110 lbs is done. I was breathing hard cause I kept forgetting to breath. Funny how that works. I went 3 sequences in the line type and each stud nut got "tested 3 times after hearing the first click. Its something I learned years ago. Its like doing several torques on a fastener at the same place. So after all this the heads are on and tight. Now I'm going to install the pistons and rods from the bottom end side just for giggeles.......:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats gonna make for some odd shaped pistons!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok guys.... I know you are reading closely now. I put that out there just as a tease especially to you Tonka....;Poke :popcorn :popcorn Tee Heey.... This sure is fun some times. I'm now waiting on a set of gears for the crank and cam. I got a very good deal on the updated cam gear so thats what I'm waiting on now. Too bad it didn't come up on Ebay a month ago. I wouldn't be waiting for something to get here. I also will be upgradeing the brakes to the hydroboost system. I bought 2 boosters of Ebay and again I got a good price on them. I have a new hydroboost power steering pump. Towcat told me all I really needed was a differant resirour for my standard pump but that information came late. Now I have to think about changing over to the serpentine belt setup I hav. I have almost two complete setups now. But as if I didn't have enough to do already the new ATS intercooler is still sitting there waiting for a place on my truck. Plenty-o-work to do here....:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew.... I hoped you had that done. Hate to see you meltdown here-cuss ;Pissed :frustrate :cry:

Sounds like things are going good for you now and I have my fingers crossed fer ya.

BTW....I can read too ;p:moon: LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online