More e4od woes

oil_rig_medic

Reaction score
Sorted out my previous tach problem, ended up being the computer. Replaced it along with new trans and convertor and now have a new problem. Got everything in and buttoned up, started the truck and found the o/d light on, steady and bright, and no overdrive.

So my question, what should I check first? I've tried googling but haven't had much luck finding info about the constant on, just the blinking

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to ask this, but did you click the button?

An obd1 code reader can pull the constant memory codes. Given that the ecm is in the cab, it may have held onto codes. Pull the battery cables off for a bit and see if it comes back.

oil_rig_medic

Reaction score
Button was the first thing I tried, not the issue. Computer is fresh from rebuild just installed today, light came on immediately on start up, would it still have codes stored? Not trying to be a smartA, legitimate question

oil_rig_medic

Reaction score
Checked those, everything seems to be good there. As an update, plugged the old computer back in and the o/d light/switch functioned like it is supposed to (tach still doesn't work with that one though) so am I safe to assume that this is the most likely culprit?

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just fixed a dim OD light and no tach from replacing some wiring (the yellow wires to the EEC relay)

Could be a lot of things.. but if it's a dim light from my experience it was caused by not enough voltage being sent though the EEC relay to the TCU. This could be due to a fusible link that's getting really hot, a burnt wire, burnt contacts on the relay and so on.

Test your relay, and test the voltage comming into it. The yelow wire(s) should read about the same as your battery, at all times.

oil_rig_medic

Reaction score
Wanted to close this out in case anyone has similar issues. Turns out it was the computer, the new rebuilt one that I got was bad out of the box

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to close this out in case anyone has similar issues. Turns out it was the computer, the new rebuilt one that I got was bad out of the box

Thanks a lot for posting your solution/fix. Too many threads are just dropped without knowing what the solution/fix was done.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The new computer was my first thought when I just read this post today. Funny how you just know something with little information. Glad you have it fixed now but its sad to think something was bad right out of the box too. For me its very hard to come to this conclusion that a new part I just installed is bad. Makes me think I did something wrong when installing. Electrical parts are my achilles heal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster