More e4od problems...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you've already checked that but if not make sure it's connected properly and all the terminals are clean.

We cleaned it good when we swapped the transmission but that was a thought I stumbled upon when we were discussing it.

Not exactly the kind of thing you want to try on a truck you've just driven for two hours in a Walmart parking lot when it's 35 degrees outside though LOL

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a single incident where I've had lockup problems with my 93 E4od.

It was related to the trans solenoid connector plug. Maybe you've already checked that but if not make sure it's connected properly and all the terminals are clean.

If that's not it I'll let the more knowldegable help on this one.

I'll check it out when I'm under there in a day or so. I really doubt that the connections are at issue. We replaced the transmission a few thousand miles ago and when we did, we were pretty fussy about getting it together right, but sure, stranger things have happened to be sure...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, 92-97 is the OBS

92 was a changeover year for a lot of things....

Early had V-Belts, later had serpentine belt
Early had vacuum cruise, later electronic
I'm sure there are a few other things.

So for the 92 model year, the body style changed, but during the run on the 92 model year, Ford made several changes, which is usually based on build date.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same code, similar issues with this 96 gas bronco E4od I have here. Diff mounted vss and about 5ft of the harness were garbage, causing same code and intermittent jumping speedometer and in this truck's case, slamming into gears and OD flashing. You could exacerbate issue by pushing OD button.

Bypassed RABS as that module is bad on this truck. Also replaced rotted section of harness and new VSS.

Jumping speedometer 90% better, but may need exciter ring on this pig as well. Trans now only acts up at same time that speedometer needle does which is very intermittent.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that a 1992 is OBS style.
Yup.
Yes, 92-97 is the OBS

92 was a changeover year for a lot of things....

Early had V-Belts, later had serpentine belt
Early had vacuum cruise, later electronic
I'm sure there are a few other things.

So for the 92 model year, the body style changed, but during the run on the 92 model year, Ford made several changes, which is usually based on build date.
Mine = Serpentine. & Vacuum cruise. Go figger!
Thanks, I stand corrected.
Shoulda said my OBS:confused:
Understandable. Especially when you see that mine is a mix-n-match. And I believe this stuff is factory...
Same code, similar issues with this 96 gas bronco E4od I have here. Diff mounted vss and about 5ft of the harness were garbage, causing same code and intermittent jumping speedometer and in this truck's case, slamming into gears and OD flashing. You could exacerbate issue by pushing OD button.

Bypassed RABS as that module is bad on this truck. Also replaced rotted section of harness and new VSS.

Jumping speedometer 90% better, but may need exciter ring on this pig as well. Trans now only acts up at same time that speedometer needle does which is very intermittent.
Thank you for more data!!! I appreciate this.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, we're in Ocala Florida at a friends house for another day. I was checking out the connections on the tranny and at the axle. Everything is super clean and the wiring and connectors are in great shape. I didn't pull the VSS, I'll wait until we get to the Island where we've got the Jeep parked and I'll have no prepressure to get it finished. I was kinda hoping to find a bad connection at the axle...