Morale Boost

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for me but for probabaly alot of you.

Today I had to put some new o-rings in my fuel line from the filter to the injection pump. I used trade size # 011 orings if anyones interested in knowing.EDIT(note; these are a supplement to the worn down rubber inserts already in there. Probably not a correct fix but working for now)

Back on topic. When I was finished I bled the fuel system like I have done before; crack open all the injector lines at the injector, crank in 10-15 second bursts with 1-2 minute breaks in between until there is fuel at all of the injectors. Then tighten all of the lines and you are good to go.

So I did exactly that but I was not good to go. In fact there was no go at all. Just more cranking. I was to say the least confused.

So I re-cracked open all the injectors, wiped all of them dry, and cranked again. Immediately they were all wet again.???? Now I was really confused.:dunno At this point I said what the hell and decided I would just waste some fuel and make sure they were good and bled out. Then I re-tightened the lines.

Still no starting. Now I was wishing I had some ether. I did this with the motor hot thinking it would be easier to start when I was finished but I guess not. My batteries, which had performed valiantly up to this point, were beginning to weaken so I had to get out the jumper cables and find an unused forklift to hook it up to and let it charge.

I once again cracked open the injector lines, all of them each time, and did a little cranking. I then tightened them back up and cranked some more. Eventually it started, stumbling badly at first and then finally smoothing out into it's normal good idle.

So for those of you that have had a hard time bleeding your fuel system a time or two don't worry about it. It's a normal occurance. I have bled it twice before without any drama. Today was different even though I used the same techniques. Go figure.

To make matters worse I had to take my Dad to the airport and was afraid I wouldn't get it started in time. It all worked out however.

Electric fuel pump is looking better and better all the time.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a headache like that each and every time...that's why I hate changing the stock fuel filter. I removed the return fitting from the filter head to the #1 injector, being told the 7.3s don't have it and its often the cause of losing your prime in the morning. I guess just try never to run any diesel out of fuel like we were all taught right? Glad you got it going and thanks for sharing,
JD

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I change my fuel filter with no issues, just fill it full and screw it on.....When she lights I hold the throttle down a little so it doesn't die....That simple, you want a real ***** to start after a service try a Cat C15 or Cummins ISX, pure poison if they get air locked.....You start to look for your "go can"...LOL

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will highly recommend an electric fuel pump. I just put in a new ip, injectors, electric pump, and new filter. I turned the pump on untill fuel came out of the line on the back of the ip, tightened it down then it took about 6 seconds of cranking before fuel came out the injector lines, then I tightened the lines down and cranked the engine for about 2 seconds and fired off with no problems. I was really blown away with how fast is started with everything being new. With what it saves on the starter and batteries it is well worth it.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of our shop techs ran a Mercedies diesel truck out of fuel...it sat in the shop for three days before we could get info on how to get the damn thing primed...I think they ended up using a pump up weed sprayer filled with fuel tapped into the fuel system somehow....ring a bell anyone? Ack.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will highly recommend an electric fuel pump. I just put in a new ip, injectors, electric pump, and new filter. I turned the pump on untill fuel came out of the line on the back of the ip, tightened it down then it took about 6 seconds of cranking before fuel came out the injector lines, then I tightened the lines down and cranked the engine for about 2 seconds and fired off with no problems. I was really blown away with how fast is started with everything being new. With what it saves on the starter and batteries it is well worth it.

This is exactly how it was for me the first 2 times minus the electric pump part. Once I had fuel at the injectors it was running immediately after tightening them up. This time was different.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always starts back up, then immediately takes a big gulp of air. The holley red doesn't even seem to help. Maybe next time I need to do something different. I always just screw on the fuel filter empty, then let the holley red fill it up, then bleed about 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon of fuel into a clean jug, dump it back in the tank and go for a start. It always goes but stalls even if I keep my foot most of the way to the floor or feather the throttle. Maybe a little air gets caught in that line from the IP to the fuel filter head? What say you?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Filling the filter first is the key.....Fill it up, screw it on and have your foot on the throttle if it lights up....Empty filter - PITA....Think about it this way, if you let the electric pump fill it the air has to be displaced somewhere and not necessarily back to the tank or jug.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, I just assumed that priming it was pointless when you had an e-pump since all that fuel is getting pushed out through the schrader valve anyway...what is wrong with this thinking? Why would the air go anywhere else than into the can/out the schrader valve? Not being combative, just want to know.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A vacuum can be created when you initially remove the filter, it can pull fuel from lines or the IP in such a way that when you reinstall the filter and re-pressurize the fuel system air can become trapped in places you don't want it to be....And the cursing starts here...LOL.....Kinda hard to explain but I see it every day.....Cummins has been using electric lift pumps for years, put an empty fuel filter on an ISX and you will soon realize what I'm talking about....Pure posion to get started with just a hint of air in the fuel system let alone an empty filter....CAT C15's are bad too and they have a hand primer pump, even if you fill the filter and pump it up before you attempt to start it they can still be a real *****, stalling 2-3 times before they burp all the air out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try priming it all the way next time and see if its any easier. Thanks for the tip...I think a bit of air gets pulled into that filter to IP line but it might be somewhere else.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A vacuum can be created when you initially remove the filter, it can pull fuel from lines or the IP in such a way that when you reinstall the filter and re-pressurize the fuel system air can become trapped in places you don't want it to be....And the cursing starts here...LOL.....Kinda hard to explain but I see it every day.....Cummins has been using electric lift pumps for years, put an empty fuel filter on an ISX and you will soon realize what I'm talking about....Pure posion to get started with just a hint of air in the fuel system let alone an empty filter....CAT C15's are bad too and they have a hand primer pump, even if you fill the filter and pump it up before you attempt to start it they can still be a real *****, stalling 2-3 times before they burp all the air out.
I just did a road service on a air-start C15 that ran out of fuel. Got her running with the system primed already but used two cans of wd-40 to keep her running until the air bled out-cuss